Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

How do you instill self-motivation in a child?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How do you instill self-motivation in a child?

Postby Carolina » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi all,

We are wondering, how do you encourage and/or instill self-motivation in your child/ren?

Thanks.

Carolina
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How do you instill self-motivation in a child?

Postby zac's mum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Carolina wrote:Hi all,

We are wondering, how do you encourage and/or instill self-motivation in your child/ren?

Thanks.

This is a tough question and I've been pondering over it. We are also trying to move away from a reward system, which is fantastic for preschoolers but quite immature for my P1 kid. The effects are not long-lasting.

I see various levels of motivation for wanting to do well (whether in studies or in life) -

Very primitive level: fear of caning/punishment

Preschooler level: desire for whatever immediate reward/carrot being dangled

Somewhat higher level: desire to please parents

Somewhat higher level: desire not to lose out to peers

Bigger picture/longer term motivation: desire to get into school or course of own choice

Biggest picture/most noble motivation: desire to make others' lives better (eg want to be a doctor so that can treat poor rural patients, or want to be an inventor so that can design machines to solve difficult problems in the world).

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby drain131 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:52 pm

i think it is great to include new goalds continually in this age

drain131
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby TWU » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks.

Good morning Carolina,

As shared in other thread, children have no motivation to improve may due to lack of self-confidence, they don’t believe in themselves.

eg a child scored 33 for CA, he/she put in efforts subsequently and managed to score 43 for SA.

However, he/she would still be punished/lectured by parents. Parents of this child noticed only he/she still failed the subject instead of his/her improvement and efforts.

If such keep on happening, this child will become increasingly pessimistic and no motivation to improve.

Do look at strength of a child instead of over focusing on weakness of the child.

A child must have good understanding about purpose of going to school and purpose of sitting for examinations/tests - (1) go to school to acquire knowledge and skill (2) sit for examinations/tests in order to know child’s depth of understanding for taught subjects/topics.
eg a child scores 50% for a subject, this child understands only 50% of the taught subject, this child understands well the taught subject if one scores high %.

In other words, score should be pegged to knowledge has acquired by a child instead of capability of a child.

TWU
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasumom1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am

zac's mum wrote:

Thanks.

This is a tough question and I've been pondering over it. We are also trying to move away from a reward system, which is fantastic for preschoolers but quite immature for my P1 kid. The effects are not long-lasting.

I see various levels of motivation for wanting to do well (whether in studies or in life) -

Very primitive level: fear of caning/punishment

Preschooler level: desire for whatever immediate reward/carrot being dangled

Somewhat higher level: desire to please parents

Somewhat higher level: desire not to lose out to peers

Bigger picture/longer term motivation: desire to get into school or course of own choice

Biggest picture/most noble motivation: desire to make others' lives better (eg want to be a doctor so that can treat poor rural patients, or want to be an inventor so that can design machines to solve difficult problems in the world).

thanks. Actually reading this post would help to mold certain culture or habits at home early. I like how it's a progressive manner your ideas are! Thanks again

kiasumom1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CarolW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 am

I use real life examples to demonstrate how these concepts come into play. Also I position myself as a motivational coach not a motivational source. As a motivational coach, I can look out for those areas where I might implicitly reinforce or even encourage my child to rely upon me to lead her towards a goal.

CarolW
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Janet32 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Whenever our little girl achieves something even if it's little, we celebrate. Knowing how to celebrate and enjoy success, both their own and others’, will give your child something positive to aim for.

Janet32
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres