Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Values

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

All About Values

Postby DingleTutors » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm

In the education-field, there is always overwhelming talk about how our children need to learn "values" while in school. This comes in the form of compulsory VIA ("Values-In-Action") activities, Civics and Moral Education (CME), "holistic" school activities and etc. :shrug:

What puzzles me though, is what do all of you as parents think about the effectiveness of this "values-education" in schools?
While it is nice to say that our child is learning "charity" or "compassion" when doing their VIA/CIP activities, what are the top 3 values you REALLY want your child to have? :scratchhead: :?:

DingleTutors
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About Values

Postby Imp75 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:34 pm

1. INTEGRITY
2. TENACITY
3. EMPATHY

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DingleTutors » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Imp75 wrote:1. INTEGRITY
2. TENACITY
3. EMPATHY

Wow, that's a lot of "-ity"... why those 3 values though? Instead of the usual CME "Care/Concern/Respect" etc...?

DingleTutors
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby zac's mum » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm

I haven’t thought about my top 3. But the top one which I wish for my child (and me) to have is empathy. That to me is the main value which the world could do with a lot more of.

And I believe empathy is also the same thing as the compassion/charity, care and concern that you mention.

I’m not sure how other schools do the VIA thingy. But in my child’s school, the educators aim to teach care for self at P1/P2, then extend to care for others within school at P3/P4, and finally extend outward to care for the external community at P5/P6. I believe this is quite age-appropriate.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mok21 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 pm

I really don't think the kids take these classes seriously in school, if they take it too seriously their friends will look at them and think they are trying too hard to be 'guai'. Best to take things like your child's values into your own hands.

mok21
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby CalvinS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am

mok21 wrote:I really don't think the kids take these classes seriously in school, if they take it too seriously their friends will look at them and think they are trying too hard to be 'guai'. Best to take things like your child's values into your own hands.

Good point! :goodpost:

CalvinS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phtthp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm

an 18 year old teenager beat up his granny (87 year old), on the street

http://www.asiaone.com/china/caught-vid ... nny-street

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child