Over Sensitive Kid??

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Over Sensitive Kid??

Postby barney » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am

I've searched for existing thread on similar topic but couldn't find one, if there's one exist, mods, please help to merge this thread.

My dd did not attend school on Monday and Tuesday as she was not feeling well. She came back yesterday after her first day in school this week telling me she felt like she's invisible. I asked her why and she said whenever one of her classmate is sick, when they get back to school the following day, the form teacher will ask if the child is feeling better. She was out for 2 days and her form teacher never asked her anything at all. She kept saying she like invisible to the teacher.

Is she being over sensitive on this? How would you answer or console your child if this happen to them? Please help.

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby LKVM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:10 pm

which class is she in? generally girls are more sensitive but guess no need to worry

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Is she like that generally?, ie, from what you can see, more so than other girls? Does she have other concerns?

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jesschan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:22 pm

My son was on MC for five days during the H1N1 period last year and 2 weeks for chicken pox near to SA2 when he was in P2 and none of his teachers asked about him when he returned to school. Luckily he doesn't bother about such things but he does sometimes feel that the teacher isn't always fair to him. Whenever such incidents happen, I always tell my kids that the teacher has too many children to handle, too much nitty gritty work and hence tend to overlook the emotional aspects of the kids .... it doesn't mean anything.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LKVM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Agreed you can always tell ur gal that there is one teacher and so many students cannot remember all of them

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Andaiz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:53 pm

lovekidsverymuch wrote:Agreed you can always tell ur gal that there is one teacher and so many students cannot remember all of them

Hey, and if she's sensitive, her question would be "then how come they remember for XXX or so-and-so?"

I agree that girls are more sensitive in such ways. Also, sometimes the gals tend to feel victimised (they probably remember those who were asked, not those who were not!). Does she have friends in school? I mean good ones - and if they look out for one another, sometimes, it makes such "ignoring" easier to bear. Just my 2 cents worth :wink:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Just say that the teacher might be exceptionally busy on that day and forget to ask the questions.

But personally, is your child sensitive to an innocent remarks at home? Any physical discomfort due to sensitivities?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby barney » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks to all for your replies.

lovekidsverymuch
She's in P2 this year and has the same form teacher as last year and as what Andaiz has mentioned, she said the teacher would ask her other classmates when they returned to school after reporting sick, so why did the teacher missed her out now?

Dd is reserved in class, (maybe this is hereditary as I was labelled shy in school during my time) and my grown up nieces have all told me she's matured for her age, in terms of her thinking and speech. I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that she's an only child but I do feel a tinge of sadness when she told me she felt like she's invisible to her teacher.

I did try to tell her not to worry about such stuff and hope she'll forget all about this quickly. She does enjoy primary school alot and is happy to go to school. Maybe I myself is being overly sensitive over this? :oops: It's not easy to be a teacher nowadays, need to ensure consistency, if not the comparison will go on and on.

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby barney » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 pm

EN wrote:Just say that the teacher might be exceptionally busy on that day and forget to ask the questions.

But personally, is your child sensitive to an innocent remarks at home? Any physical discomfort due to sensitivities?

That's what I did and told her it's a small matter. She's generally a happy kid but mature for her age. I still remember 2 years back when she was in K2 and heard about the Mas Selamat escape news, she couldn't sleep in the night, fearing that he might come to our block and blow up the house, requested me to stay up with her the whole night in the living room with lights on. I had a hard time convincing her we are safe and both of us need to sleep to carry on with our activities the next day. So I don't know if she should be labelled as sensitive or "worrisome" kid. :cry:

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby LKVM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:14 pm

barney wrote:
EN wrote:Just say that the teacher might be exceptionally busy on that day and forget to ask the questions.

That's what I did and told her it's a small matter. She's generally a happy kid but mature for her age. I still remember 2 years back when she was in K2 and heard about the Mas Selamat escape news, she couldn't sleep in the night, fearing that he might come to our block and blow up the house, requested me to stay up with her the whole night in the living room with lights on. I had a hard time convincing her we are safe and both of us need to sleep to carry on with our activities the next day. So I don't know if she should be labelled as sensitive or "worrisome" kid. :cry:

WHAT :!: then i guess she is worrisome... but i think she is just little more matured for her age just let her grow up normally and tell her to be calm

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child