LEARNConcierge

Home Alone overnight

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

at what age would you let your DC stay home alone overnight?

younger than 10
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
29%
14%
14%
14%
14%
older than 18
14%

Total votes : 7

Re: Home Alone overnight

Postby jedamum » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 pm

tankee wrote:DS is likely to be home alone overnight for 1 night soon.

DW wants to ask my MIL to come over for that night but DS refuses, he is looking forward to have 1 night of no government. :drool:

Currently at stalemate. Both looking towards me for support. :?:

Is there a close cousin or friend (that you can trust) he can bunk for the night? My husband said he used to have his best friends sleepover at his place during sec sch. They still keep in touch now with regular meetups.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MrsKiasu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:42 am

ammonite wrote:MKS, maybe a fire blanket is easier to use.

I have had fire safety talk with my children since they were young and we discuss the various exits, what to do in different situations, and who to call. Basically safety first, neighbours/security guards for help, difference between electrical fire (no water!) and normal fire and what to do if trapped. I noticed that there seem to be an increasing number of electrical fires in the news and I now make it a point not to charge electrical appliances overnight and to remove any charger that seem to be overheating too quickly.

thanks ammo. I will keep a look out for the fire blanket. yes, no charging of phones outside when we are sleeping :sweat:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 am

DW wants to ask my MIL to come over for that night but DS refuses, he is looking forward to have 1 night of no government. :drool:

You want peace, you know who to support. :laugh:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

Yes if you want peace of mind - then support your DW.
However if your Ds is generally mature and responsible, and is really keen on being alone then it will be a real morale boosting experience for your DS. Might just be worth the sleepless night you/your DW will spend.

For all the bravado teens show off, they do have doubts of their own caliber. Prepping them and trusting them can build their self esteem, I think.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zeit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:16 am

No one size fits all solution for everyone, cos you've to audit your own residence and child.

Some condo units come with full height windows with no balconies or corridors to escape to, fixed invisible grilles that can strangle you, high floor that makes it impossible to jump onto shrubs or trees, no ledge to cling onto to escape to neighbours' unit downstairs, etc. :sweat:

Does house have CCTV, smoke detectors, fire-rated doors and safe deposit box? Ds is using a bathtub?

DS - Any fear of the paranormal, dark? Got mild mental illness due to stress recently - oops? Any sleepwalking tendencies? Is child absent-minded (i.e. leave keys at keyhole)? Trained how to use the fire extinguisher (check expiry date) on electrical fires? Familiar with fire safety precautions and all escape routes from your residence?

Guess 24 hrs is alright, if ds doesn't cook. Order from Foodpanda or MIL to prepare tingkat. Face-time or ask MIL to pop by briefly when ds is back from school. Request ds to call MIL once he wakes up.

Zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 pm

My boy was left alone for 3 or 4 days @15ish when he got stuck on his project n couldn't leave with us. Was really happy to live without us.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm

thanks to all those who replied to my post

DS is very close to his grandma. Not a case of choosing whose accompany. :smile:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Janet32 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:31 am

This is interesting. My parents would let my siblings and I home alone for a few minutes at a time when I turned 9. We were always worried that there was something wrong with it, but I believe that a kid's maturity should determine at what age they should stay home alone and for how long. ~

Janet32
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Previous

Return to Working With Your Child

LEARNConcierge