Is Your Kid Gifted? Probably Not

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Is Your Kid Gifted? Probably Not

Postby breguet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Don't mean to be the devil's advocate :lol: , but I thought this was a great article for sound, good parenting advice. I really love the advice on play.

"The best gift your child can have is the gift of time with you. Reading, singing, playing, dancing, catching fireflies -- it's all good. The rest is gravy."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/fami ... index.html

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phantom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 pm

That's good article, thanks for the link :)

I think there are more people talking about gifted kid is because a lot of teaching methods become more effective in bringing the capabilities of the child out as compared to when we were bought up.

I think this just show how under developed we may have been when we were young.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby tamarind » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm

I also think that it is a good article.

Quote from the article:

You can't build giftedness; it's mostly built in.

This is what most Singaporean parents need to learn, instead of paying $$$ for all shichida and other right brain classes.

I also agree with that "Play's the thing". Both my kids spend more than 90% of their waking time at home playing.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi breguet,

Thanks for the article. Was just musing with a friend that every corner I turned into, there are "gifted" kids everywhere.

:wink:
Last edited by metz on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Is Your Kid Gifted? Probably Not

Postby jedamum » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:44 pm

breguet wrote:"The best gift your child can have is the gift of time with you. Reading, singing, playing, dancing, catching fireflies -- it's all good. The rest is gravy."

My personal favourite verse...

I tried to teach my child with books.
He gave me only puzzled looks.

I tried to teach my child with words.
They passed him by often unheard.

Despairingly I turned aside.
"How shall I teach my child?" I cried.

Into my hand he put the key.
"Come," he said, "play with me."

Source

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby breguet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:55 pm

chamonix wrote:Hi breguet,

Thanks for the article. Was just musing with a friend that every corner I turned into, there are "gifted" kids everywhere.

That's hysterical! :D I sometimes feel I'm the only one not gifted here. Gee, gonna try to get irritated at the collar :wink:

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Is Your Kid Gifted? Probably Not

Postby breguet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:59 pm

jedamum wrote:My personal favourite verse...

I tried to teach my child with books.
He gave me only puzzled looks.

I tried to teach my child with words.
They passed him by often unheard.

Despairingly I turned aside.
"How shall I teach my child?" I cried.

Into my hand he put the key.
"Come," he said, "play with me."

Source

Wow, Jedamum, I read the first three verses and my mind started it's usual torrent of complaints ... then the last verse came. That's so touching! Tks so much for that!

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mintcc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 pm

thanks for sharing the article breguet!

Ha ha, you are not alone. mine is not gifted too.

Actually, before I get exposed to all the gifted kids talk, I think of being "gifted" as something from the movie 6th sense :oops:
Last edited by mintcc on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby tamarind » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:10 pm

breguet wrote:
chamonix wrote:Hi breguet,

That's hysterical! :D I sometimes feel I'm the only one not gifted here. Gee, gonna try to get irritated at the collar :wink:

I know you are referring to the other thread I started "Any parents of gifted children ?" When I started that thread, I already expected that some parents will give remarks like the above. I know very well that you are trying to be sarcastic. But that is fine for me :) The beauty of an online forum, is that we have the freedom to talk about anything we like.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Hmmmm....Now I know why my aunty did not disclose about my cousin who got selected to be in gifted programme until he finished his study. He is now teaching in RI, back to his old school, teaching kids like him.

Tonight I am planning to finish off creative work that we did last Sunday. I was inspired by my son carton box truck & bought him some materials for him to play. But what he wanted most is to carry out his science experiment that is not meant for his age. Parents supervision is needed. Should I a working mum spare my energy to supervise the science experiment or should I insist on finishing half done creative work? I vote for creative work because I can sit, rest & render help only when needed.

My son did say "come play with me" cause the mummy either too tired & need a nap, read her own book to de-stress or help his sister with her school work.

I agree with Tamarind. There should be a freedom of speech.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child