Improving Focus And Concentration

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to help child remain focus?

Postby Jusmum » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:54 pm

My girl will be taking PSLE in 2010 and her SA2 result was not no good....she is not very focus with work...always get drifted in the midst of doing work...

Anyone has tips to 'train' a child to be more focus?

Jusmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kiasimom » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:00 pm

I send my kids to Kumon. They are trained to sit and complete their worksheets within the stipulated timing. Maybe you can try that too.
It will eventually become a habit.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cakhcakh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:28 pm

I never let my child study more than 30mins… On average, a child concentrate 30-45mins, after that their mind turn to switch off mode. Let the child in something else for solid 5mins. That shld do the trick.

cakhcakh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:35 pm

cakhcakh wrote:I never let my child study more than 30mins… On average, a child concentrate 30-45mins, after that their mind turn to switch off mode. Let the child in something else for solid 5mins. That shld do the trick.

jusmum's child will be taking PSLE in 2010; she needs to learn to concentrate for more than 45min.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tony » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:19 pm

jedamum wrote:
cakhcakh wrote:I never let my child study more than 30mins… On average, a child concentrate 30-45mins, after that their mind turn to switch off mode. Let the child in something else for solid 5mins. That shld do the trick.

jusmum's child will be taking PSLE in 2010; she needs to learn to concentrate for more than 45min.

Got to start somewhere, and starting in baby steps is important otherwise the change is too great to absorb for the child, so you end up with nothing but frustration.

Either try to scale up gradually, or if you find your child's optimal concentration period is 30 mins (mine still is! Even in exams, I had to take a v short breather, but it gave me a boost to work quicker so I never had any time issues), take frequent breaks like cakhcakh says. 30mins of solid focus + 5 mins of break means 86% of the child's time is spent doing good quality, focused work.

tony
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Speed And Accuracy - Excellence In Math

Postby Bentan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:25 pm

It is important to train a student to acheive speed and accuracy for PSLE, especially for Math paper.

Accuracy can only be acheived when the student can attain high concentration. Concentration can be trained, ideally from Pr 5 onwards. By June of PSLE year the student must be able to concentrate for at least 1.5 hours. This translates to score of 60 to 70% for Math paper. Some students have problem going beyond 1.5 hours (especially the boys). Correspondingly their PSLE aggregate are quite predictable.

Speed is familiarization through practices. This is why parents are buying assessment books for their child to practice. However, many parents cannot tell the difference between speed and speeding. Speeding is bad, especially for a student with low concentration. His speeding will get him more careless mistakes.

I hope my explanations are acceptable to all parents. Please leave me a message at Singapore Math Chinese Tutor if you want me to explain more.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Improving Focus And Concentration

Postby jazng » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 am

Original Title: How can I improve focus and concentartion in a P1 kid?

hi chief KS,

My boy just started P1 this year and barely a month, his teacher feedback tt he is easily distracted and not attentive in class.

Most of the time, 70% as the teacher said, his mind is wondering around or playing with his stationaries. This happen in his English, Chinese and maths class (observed and feedback by the teachers). However, when it comes to school homeworks and spelling, he can complete it and did well. His form teacher (chinese teacher) told me tt as he is always the first few to finish his class work, nowadays, she dedicated some respomsibilities to him by asking him to coach some of the students who haven finish their work. This will keep him occupied rather than playing with his stationaries or dreaming in class.

At the same time, he is currently attending a chinese enrichment class and i tried to get feedback from the center teacher. Surprisely, the feedback is totally different. The teacher commented that he is a smart boy n can grasp n absorb the teachings very fast. Most of the time, he is attentive in class and they have no problem with him!!

So, i am really confused over this??!! Tried searching article online n they attribute to the lost of concentration = lost of interest = too boring..cld it be tt he is in a faster pace than others n already know whats the teacher is talking abt n thus find tt its boring??!!

btw, he is not ADHD and only attend a chinese enrichment class. I do give him some English and Maths accessment to do..most of the time he is on his own to finish it unless he encounter difficulties then he will approach me or his dad.

Any parents encountered such situations before or can give any advise? Any ways to improve his concentration span, staying focus and be attentive.

Wld be interesting to hear views from other parents or being refer to any article that is relevant.

Pls help.. tks

jazng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am

IMO, the fact that he is able to complete the schoolwork fast and correctly, means that he did paid attention and understood what were taught.

P1 teachers tends to repeat and repeat the same thing over and over again. Perhaps your boy finds it boring after hearing them the first time; thus start doing his own things.

Enrichment class do not have the benefit of time to keep on repeating, thus your boy are more engaged.

Perhaps you could pack an interesting story book for him to read when he completed his work in class?

by the way, wrong forum. This is for Secondary school.

:D

MOD - please move .. thanks

tankee
Site Admin

Postby blesseddad » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 am

I guess you have found the answer that school is boring to him as he is intelligent and could understand and grasp the stuff faster than his peers.

Maybe you can try to expose him to higher-level content. And if he can also learn them quickly, then take him out of schools and homeschool him. He is better off not in singapore's education system.

blesseddad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jazng » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:47 pm

tankee wrote:IMO, the fact that he is able to complete the schoolwork fast and correctly, means that he did paid attention and understood what were taught.

P1 teachers tends to repeat and repeat the same thing over and over again. Perhaps your boy finds it boring after hearing them the first time; thus start doing his own things.

Enrichment class do not have the benefit of time to keep on repeating, thus your boy are more engaged.

Perhaps you could pack an interesting story book for him to read when he completed his work in class?

by the way, wrong forum. This is for Secondary school.

:D

MOD - please move .. thanks

oh isit ..wrong forum?? tot its stated primary school??

anyway, tks for ur advise..cant pack story book cos in class...he cant be reading story books n rest of his peers are still doing their home work..

tried talking to him abt this whole thing n hope he understand..

jazng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Working With Your Child