The Responsibility of parents - An Education

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

The Responsibility of parents - An Education

Postby daisyt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 am

One of this year's nomination for Best Picture, "An Education" http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominee ... ation/2752

One part of the movie make me think further about the responsibility of parents. The teenage daughter told her parent, she is just a naive teenage girl who falls into the trap, why the parents are so naive too ? Yes, she is blaming her parent for not stopping her on her foolish act.

In another documentary I once watched, interview those drug addicts in jail. This girl was commenting she wished her parent was strict enough to her, or else she won't be ending up in jail.

The point of views from parents are always different from the point of views from children. Last night while watching The History channel about Hippies, one professor commented "In the eyes of the parents, they are worried their children would end up in such situation. However in the eyes of those young teenages, they are directly the opposite. To them, its a new world of excitement, to be able to be away from parents, live on their own, do whatever they like and be happy"

So, being a responsible parent, we should insist even if we know our children would hate us, dislike us, simply because they are still too young to differentiate right or wrong. What is your view ?

BTW, An Education is a good movie I highly recommend you to watch with your children, especially the teens. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 am

Parenting is experimental as far as I am concerned and I make it known to my child that we are learning some things together.

What works for one kid does not work for another too as every person is unique.

However, the fundamental principle remains the same. That is, to ensure the children avoid pitfalls as much as possible and walk the path that is as well-trodden as possible.

So for me, I will remind myself and my child, while keeping an open mind about new challenges, we will always have to fall back on past experiences, positive or negative, to draw some information for our decision-making process. If I have set the stage with my child throughout the years, I think it is easier for us to take it from there with this common platform. This is also known as bonding. The stronger the bonding, the higher the influence. I would not wait for problems to emerge before bonding happens. Instead I will work constantly on bonding so that every problem we meet, we will face it together, there should not be a question of "my parents did not tell me this and that" or "I plan to keep this from my parents".

Bottomline, if the line of communication exists between parents and children at every stage of their lives, things cannot go too wrong even if it is a learning process together. Just my 2 cents.

Postby Blobbi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 am

Tks DaisyT, for the article. This is a great one for introspection. That's part of our job - to keep reflecting to see what we've done right or would like to do better. I sometimes wonder if I'm veering towards the free for all, bo cheng hoo type of environment. Luckily, DH pulls me back, and vice versa.

Very well said. ks2me. Yes, I'd hate it if my kid were to say - it's your fault you didn't tell me. After all, it's a joint partnership and so long as all of us go into it with our eyes open, keep the communication lines open as far as possible, then we can only try for an optimal outcome. :love:

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child