Upset with home math tutor

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
Jejubear
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Upset with home math tutor

Post by Jejubear » Sat May 25, 2019 1:22 am

Just want to share my frustration and stress with my child's math tutor. My child taking psle this year and weak in math. I engaged a math tutor (male) upon recommendation via word of mouth. Turned out to be nightmarish for me and child. Tutor has been with us for about 4 mths now. Every lesson, tutor will update me how weak my child is in Math and also told my child that his standard sucks. Tutor told my child that his Problem sums cannot do, surely english standard must be like shit as well and won't do well for other subjects. Initially, i thought he is just pushing my child on to make him stronger and more resilient. I am wrong, the harsh words are more often heard and now tutor starts comparing my child with how top school students fare and that my child will not match up to national cohort if he continues to lag behind and not buck up. Tutor asked for full month payment upfront and i have yet to sack him as i won't be getting my $ back. i have 2 more lessons to go. Though my child is feeling very stressed and fearful now that he thinks he is no good, he said he is willing to bear with this for next 4 mths as psle is around the corner and asked me not to change tutor. He fears that his math will worsen further if change tutor. i feel so guilty to let this go on for 4 mths. How do i revive my child's confidence now? I don't think i will consider a home tutor again. Any recommendation for small group tuition with real caring passionate teacher? I stay in the eastern part of singapore. Thanks.

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Upset with home math tutor

Post by mummyxoxo » Sat May 25, 2019 9:05 am

Jejubear wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:22 am
Just want to share my frustration and stress with my child's math tutor. My child taking psle this year and weak in math. I engaged a math tutor (male) upon recommendation via word of mouth. Turned out to be nightmarish for me and child. Tutor has been with us for about 4 mths now. Every lesson, tutor will update me how weak my child is in Math and also told my child that his standard sucks. Tutor told my child that his Problem sums cannot do, surely english standard must be like shit as well and won't do well for other subjects. Initially, i thought he is just pushing my child on to make him stronger and more resilient. I am wrong, the harsh words are more often heard and now tutor starts comparing my child with how top school students fare and that my child will not match up to national cohort if he continues to lag behind and not buck up. Tutor asked for full month payment upfront and i have yet to sack him as i won't be getting my $ back. i have 2 more lessons to go. Though my child is feeling very stressed and fearful now that he thinks he is no good, he said he is willing to bear with this for next 4 mths as psle is around the corner and asked me not to change tutor. He fears that his math will worsen further if change tutor. i feel so guilty to let this go on for 4 mths. How do i revive my child's confidence now? I don't think i will consider a home tutor again. Any recommendation for small group tuition with real caring passionate teacher? I stay in the eastern part of singapore. Thanks.
Hi,

I have similar experience before. What I can recommend you to do is to have a conversation with the tutor and tell him about the issue. If things remain as bad, you may change tutor. I think you can still hire private tutors - there are definitely still nice, patient, professional and experienced private tutors around. But if you want to be on the safer side, you may want to tell the tutor beforehand about your child's situation and what the tutor should try to avoid doing. All the best to you!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:235

Post by slmkhoo » Sat May 25, 2019 9:37 am

No point continuing if it's affecting his morale. But try to get the next tutor through recommendation.

Jejubear
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Jejubear » Sat May 25, 2019 10:41 am

Have spoken to the tutor. I also discovered problem sums which my child did with him and answers are wrong but left them as such. I also spoke to tutor on this and his reply was so long as method right and the child understands, doesnt matter if final answer is right or wrong. To me this is rubbish. Tutor now comes to my house with a black face.. my first experience with home tutor and it's so terrible.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:51

Post by MrsKiasu » Sat May 25, 2019 10:47 am

this is terrible..imho, changing tutor will be better..maybe starts with getting your child look at the sample qns with ans provided..never mind that he look at the answer to try understand how to get it..after few qns, get him maybe redo the same qns let him get a feel? meanwhile looking for other tutors?

Jejubear
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Jejubear » Sat May 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Yes i am looking for other tutors and also helping him personally as best i can.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Tue May 28, 2019 11:20 am

I've heard nothing but positive things about Study Room (a few of my own students attend classes there, as I don't do Math). Check them out!

http://studyroom.sg/

Muller21S2
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Muller21S2 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:59 pm

swortionery wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:20 am
I've heard nothing but positive things about Study Room (a few of my own students attend classes there, as I don't do Math). Check them out!

http://studyroom.sg/
yeah, that's interesting site

brainstorm21
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by brainstorm21 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:25 pm

math? really? he couldn't help you?

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mondecoinmetier » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:39 pm

I can feel your frustration. I encounter this problem too in one of the tuition center. Also similar situation Maths teacher. Only know how to say my son Maths no good. If my son Maths so good then I won't be sending him to tuition. Plus, the teacher keeps indicated that it is his fault that his parents have to be relocated to another counrty due to job. Embarrass him infront of the class instead of teaching him and showing some patience. The teacher must be too popular so got attitude problem. I was furious! I lodge a complain. The teacher called me to apologize but the damage is done. He no longer interested in doing Maths in that tuition center and I have pull him out to relocate him into another tuition center. Lucky I have back up plan if not the one who suffer would be my child.