School counselling

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

School counselling

Postby KoalaMummy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 am

My P4 son has problem finishing his school work, hand in his homework (even when it's already completed), and very bad temper. Was thinking of sending him to the school counsellor to find out exactly what's wrong with him or what causes him to behave this way, cos he has never any complaints from P1-3. And he's a smart boy. We are at a loss how to help him (he don't really open out and share with us). We need help but seem unable to find any (cos we wanted an experience, married-with-kids christian counsellor). But i understand that once you see a counsellor in school, you will be 'mark' and the 'record' will follow the boy till sec school. anybody aware of this??

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Pastoral Counsellor

Postby Bentan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:21 pm

You should be able to find good pastoral counsellor among the Christian churches, especially those who are affilliate with a primary school. Examples are ACS Barker and Geylang Methodist Primary School.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Pastoral Counsellor

Postby MdmKS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Bentan wrote:You should be able to find good pastoral counsellor among the Christian churches, especially those who are affilliate with a primary school. Examples are ACS Barker and Geylang Methodist Primary School.

hi Bentan, for these schools, are the church within the school, do we just walk in when we are not from the school? Thanks. Do you know of any session and schedule suitable for yong teen, 12 - 15 yrs?

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Pastoral Counsellor

Postby KoalaMummy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:34 pm

MdmKS wrote:
Bentan wrote:You should be able to find good pastoral counsellor among the Christian churches, especially those who are affilliate with a primary school. Examples are ACS Barker and Geylang Methodist Primary School.

hi Bentan, for these schools, are the church within the school, do we just walk in when we are not from the school? Thanks. Do you know of any session and schedule suitable for yong teen, 12 - 15 yrs?

the church is not within the school, they r kind of affliliated. best is you call the church to book for an appt before going. i do know Touch ministry has teenager counselling. do call them up to check.

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Donkey Kong » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Wow, my son is exactly the same.

I tried to emulate Super Nanny. "Time Out", etc. Doesn't work. May be can work in western culture only.

Eastern culture is canning, canning.

School counsellor is no use. Even Child Guidance Clinic no use.

How? :? I am lost too.

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby stayhome » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:10 am

Donkey kong,

"School counsellor is no use. Even Child Guidance Clinic no use."
May I know what had you worked with them. I planning to send my son for the school counseling.

I has tried canning my son for past a year but I find it don't work well. It just stopped him for a short time and the behaviour came back. I use back my own method. It take longer time but the result are forever. canning on my son and dd2 no use. But it work well on my dd1 just one cane she would not do it anymore.

stayhome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Donkey Kong » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:41 pm

School counsellor will ask parents and kids to meet him/her at school. Then, talk talk talk. Then, she said kid is ok in school, must be something wrong with your parenting. Suggest you go FSC to settle. Indirectly telling us: Nothing concern school. :cry:

CGC staff are not very well trained. I guess the well trained ones have left to set up their private clinics. But, very expensive. 1 session $200. Can we HDB folks afford? :(

S$200 per session is for RMS/D. Rich men sons and daughters. :? Long term paying $200/se is killing. :stupid:

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby millan » Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Donkey Kong wrote:School counsellor will ask parents and kids to meet him/her at school. Then, talk talk talk. Then, she said kid is ok in school, must be something wrong with your parenting. Suggest you go FSC to settle. Indirectly telling us: Nothing concern school. :cry:

CGC staff are not very well trained. I guess the well trained ones have left to set up their private clinics. But, very expensive. 1 session $200. Can we HDB folks afford? :(

S$200 per session is for RMS/D. Rich men sons and daughters. :? Long term paying $200/se is killing. :stupid:

Hi my son in Sec 1 , in waiting list for the school counsel. Beside school, any idea what other avenue we can go? and not so ex one?

thks

millan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Donkey Kong » Wed May 05, 2010 1:35 pm

millan wrote:Hi my son in Sec 1 , in waiting list for the school counsel. Beside school, any idea what other avenue we can go? and not so ex one?

thks

Go Poly Clinic and get referral letter to Child Guidance Clinic. If you are Singaorean/PR, get some subsidies. :lol:

Go private like Mt E kind of clinics, $200 per visit. :stupid:

Donkey Kong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: School counselling

Postby ahmei » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:21 pm

anyone has seen a school counsellor, can you share if it is a must for the teacher to 'refer' the student to the counsellor?

ahmei
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child