Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Throwing away our television. Am I depriving my child?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby winth » Wed May 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Picolo wrote:It was a good buy, cos it comes with a child-lock password and now I can watch the news whenever I want to.

Got such a thing meh?
What brand ah?
We seldom shop, so really outdated with electronic stuff.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Wed May 27, 2009 1:26 pm

We lost count but I think we are into the 6th month without television at home liao.

The kids would still watch those programs when we visit MIL's or friends' house. DS2's childcare centre allows them to watch at least 1-2 hours of educational vcds, so we dun miss the days when we had a tv.

The only thing is DH is itching to buy his first Xbox/PS3. Says that he's got to be updated with his games :roll:.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Picolo » Wed May 27, 2009 1:38 pm

winth wrote:
Picolo wrote:It was a good buy, cos it comes with a child-lock password and now I can watch the news whenever I want to.

Got such a thing meh?
What brand ah?

Thot I was the only 'sua gu' one cos I never bothered with TVs. Only know have HD ready and Full HD ones. The brand is Panasonic, HD ready one, 42" and cost $620 only (or $1220 with $600 NTUC vouchers) .. hehe

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby schellen » Wed May 27, 2009 3:06 pm

winth wrote:

Got such a thing meh?
What brand ah?

Yes, have. Our old TV (spoilt already) has it to a certain extent, meaning can lock certain things but no password. Since it was old, I'm sure the new ones now have even more and better functions.

Our TV at home is hardly used for watching local TV. We have no cable and game console. TV is primarily for DVD playback so in a way, we control what our DD watches and how much she watches and when she watches. We use it as a privilege which she has to earn.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 am

schellen wrote:
Our TV at home is hardly used for watching local TV. We have no cable and game console. TV is primarily for DVD playback so in a way, we control what our DD watches and how much she watches and when she watches. We use it as a privilege which she has to earn.

Yup - giving up cable was a good decision. Since most TV programmes are crap anyway, the fact is after a while I feel nothing is lost. It's much better to be able to choose exactly what you want to watch, and don't have this "privilege" of browsing 100 channels as cable providers like to advertize.

And seriously, Sg TV is SOOOOOO crappy, I think it is a GOOD thing people should do to avoid it. I find mediacorpse to be a complete embarassment.

IMO, the value of "news" and "journalism" is also seriously over-rated. The mass media is now habitually a harbinger of fear and doom, with their daily diets of death, destruction, disease and delusion. They report very little that is truly valuable information, or which will improve you well-being in life. They just like to sound important.

In fact, don't you feel that the more news you watch, the worse you feel about the world? And do we really want our 6-year-olds to be brainwashed and wired to think how screwed up the world is?

My take is that if a piece of news is truly important, you will hear of it sooner than later. Your friend will tell you, your HR will email you, your govt will mail you a letter, etc. Everything else is forgettable.

In 6 months' time, few will remember H1N1, even less will remember Indian Rojak, and nobody will even care a hoot about the Indo air crash or S.Korean president suicide.

So ask yourself again - of all the news and TV programmes you watched today, or in the last week, which one is TRULY important/life-changing? Your answer will determine whether or not these channels are of real value to you.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby winth » Thu May 28, 2009 10:39 am

Wow, you have summarized the reasons why we threw away our television. :udaman:

Err... my DH is asking me on a daily basis if he should buy an Xbox or PS3, can think of any reason how I could hold him back? :?:

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Thu May 28, 2009 10:45 am

During my DD younger years 2-5, we let her watch CD/DVD like barney/sesame street etc, and sometimes ch8/5 prime time series. When come to P1, we stop all prime time series from 7-10pm. Reason is to spend this prime time on her homework and revise those work studied in school. I think consistency in revising their work is important. The only time we can sit together and watch prime time series is during school holiday.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu May 28, 2009 10:57 am

The other problem with watching local TV is the ads! They are either there to "coerce" your kids to milk you of money to get stuff they play for 5 seconds before chucking to one side or full of inappropriate trailers for shows that are not PG.

winth, ask your DH what he wants to play and whether he can keep it out of the kids' reach. Is he willing to be the bad guy? Cos he may have to be like a judge and jailer. You can say that you will not have anything to do with it, including financial investment and supervision.

I borrowed the Wii from my cousin when he was out of town for a while and I kept 2 of the most important components out of sight when not in use during the week. Eventually, I got bored and returned it and my DD didn't even bother to ask for it. She has a chance to play it when she visits my grandma (who lives with my cousin) but she can't be bothered too.

Maybe your DH can play similar games on a PC/laptop or a handheld? it can be a compromise. Good luck!

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Thu May 28, 2009 11:08 am

schellen wrote:Eventually, I got bored and returned it and my DD didn't even bother to ask for it. She has a chance to play it when she visits my grandma (who lives with my cousin) but she can't be bothered too.

Same here. My brothers have PS2. They simply leave the PS2 there to collect dust when they got bored with it. Now even talking about buying PS3, which I thot was a waste of $$$. But maybe 'kids' of their age (both single) plus no responsibilities really got nothing better to do.

schellen wrote:Maybe your DH can play similar games on a PC/laptop or a handheld?

He's looking at renting PSP at $5 per hour, thought that was a better option than for him to buy.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PlayfulFairy » Fri May 29, 2009 3:03 pm

digress a bit, Winth, how do you get you kid to complete a lot of homework without your supervision?

Think watching in moderation is key. 30 min of educational stuff like National Geographic after completion of homework should be fine... otherwise bonding with your family outdoors is very ideal!

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres