Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Throwing away our television. Am I depriving my child?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby winth » Fri May 29, 2009 3:12 pm

PlayfulFairy wrote:Winth, how do you get you kid to complete a lot of homework without your supervision?

Hi, actually it's alot of foundation work you put in in your child's early years, that is at 1 year old. By starting to read alot earlier, they will develop longer attention span. When they are ready to scribble/write, I'll buy books that are fun and attractive to help them develop this motivation to complete the exercise.

So when DS1 is at 2, he can sit down to write liao (with lots of guiding).

I left him alone when he is around 4 to do his own mazes, puzzles (all the fun stuff).

At 5, he will then be tasked to do less-fun homework like doing math + simple languages work and more completed 3D mazes (mazes are very good as they help to develop brain and eye coordination and visualization skills). He likes to also do lots of craft work, so basically he's left alone to complete such 'homework'.

Now at 6, he needs to complete all the sentence writing, chinese reading, multiplication and compo lor... It's less fun now, but he wouldn't realise it bec it has become his habit now.

The problem with TV is that he will get too engrossed in it that he will tell me his eyes are too tired to do homework. Or that tv time took so much of his free time away that he has no more time to complete the homework at leisure. So homework will be done hastily and it will become a stressful event for him.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

TV

Postby lovejesus_2005 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi!
I'm also of the opinion that TV is not that vital to my children's lives.
Last time when I was pregnant, my MIL would tell me not to let baby watch TV, bad for baby, etc.
But when my DS was born, she was the one who introduced him to TV....and always leave him in front of the TV while she naps or does something else.....
The only thing I could do was to buy lots of children VCD/DVD so that at least the programs he watches are more suitable for him!
Currently, DS is 3.5 yrs old and a bit of a TV addict.....cos at his childcare, they also let him watch TV after 5pm (no more lessons, just waiting for pick-up).
Some days he will tell me he's watched enough TV at school already, so doesn't want to watch TV at home.....
But he still looks forward to Friday evenings when I'll put on a DVD/VCD for him....we dubb it our "movie night" and he looks forward to it.....asking me everyday whether its Friday yet or not.....

As for my DD, 18 months old, even though she is exposed to TV (my MIL tends to use TV as a babysitter), she is not that interested at all...just ignore even when TV is on. She'll rather find something more fun to do....or ask for food!

As for myself, I hardly get to watch TV, cos once I reached home, I'll be busy attending to the children and when they rest, I either check my emails, bathe or go to sleep! Too tired man!

Hopefully, I can also make a firm decision to not have TV at all.....but I'm not sure how that will work out...cos my DH is a super TV addict!

Oh well....its still good to have some feedback and inputs from all....to have a different perspective!
Cheers....

lovejesus_2005
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby winth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi lovejesus,

It has been more than half a year without TV (forgot when we threw away actually) and we are still fine.

The boys are still very much exposed to cartoons (from their childcare centre), shows (from in-laws and my parents when we visit them) but other than that, they are doing fine without an in-house TV. It is easier now to get them off from the TV, unlike previously. And watching TV has become much of a treat than a normal day activity for them.

Our family time is still as hectic as ever, we spend alot of time talking and playing games. Sometimes we dun even have time to finish our fruits session and it's already time for bed!

DH did explore the idea of buying a TV again when he's got the 'X-box itch', but we decided that we are not ready for a new TV as yet. We are now into reading (catching up on our favourite books), so now no lar... no TV is better for us.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Come to think about it, DH, myself and our 2 kiddos dun watch much TV. But for a family who hardly watch much TV programmes, we have a lot of TV sets at home. 3 TVs. My maid is the one who watches the local programmes. DH also subscribe to cable and we have tons of shows loaded onto the Apple tv as well. But we hardly watch them.

Our schedules are quite hectic. I will pick the kids up and reach home by about 6pm. Most days, I will bring them for a walk/swim or to the playground b4 dinner. By the time we finish dinner, it will be about 8pm oredi. Then DD will have to practise her piano for 30mins, followed by going thru her spelling and ting xie for the week. DS will be free to play during this time and he will normally choose to doodle or do some activities like dot-to-dot, etc. He hardly asks to watch TV. Then at about 9-9.30pm DD can choose to do what she wants and I also notice that she will choose to play hide & seek or make belief games with DS or at times, she will ask the play her games on her DS lite or even just pick a book to read over TV. Thereafter, it is bedtime routine like milk, teeth brushing, etc then lights out at 10pm. Weekends, we are hardly at home.

DH and I did not deliberately set out to minimise TV time. But I guess cos neither of us are big on TV programmes, our kids are also not that interested. In fact, I tried to make watching a home movie a family activity, since we have a full home entertainment system, but half way thru the show, my kids disappeared and were in the play room putting up their own puppet show and DH and I are the only ones still watching the movie.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Funz wrote:Our schedules are quite hectic. I will pick the kids up and reach home by about 6pm. Most days, I will bring them for a walk/swim or to the playground b4 dinner. By the time we finish dinner, it will be about 8pm oredi. Then DD will have to practise her piano for 30mins, followed by going thru her spelling and ting xie for the week. DS will be free to play during this time and he will normally choose to doodle or do some activities like dot-to-dot, etc. He hardly asks to watch TV. Then at about 9-9.30pm DD can choose to do what she wants and I also notice that she will choose to play hide & seek or make belief games with DS or at times, she will ask the play her games on her DS lite or even just pick a book to read over TV. Thereafter, it is bedtime routine like milk, teeth brushing, etc then lights out at 10pm. Weekends, we are hardly at home.

Same thing lor... No time to watch TV. We spend more time talking in our room or reading books before turning in.

If not for my tenant who has a big flat screen TV in her room, we might even save on our TV licence this year... :lol:

My tenant told me during days where she allowed my boys to go into her room to watch TV, DS1 chose to watch channelnewsasia and documentary! :shock: and DS2 spends time playing her piano.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres