My girl acts dumb in class but is a smart alec at home

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My girl acts dumb in class but is a smart alec at home

Postby on_plus_kiasu » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:32 am

Hi all,

I know i'm being super kiasu but I find it disturbing. My girl recently got a progress report from her playgroup. She has got all her intelligences marked as Not Yet Capable even for putting on her shoes :shock: . I'm disturbed :( because my girls are rather advanced.
I was a nursery school teacher and my girls are way pass all the milestones for any gross or fine motor skills. She can dress her self and out on her shoes fine, she evens helps her sister put her shoes on. They have even got their phonics right, she at 23 months and her sister at 13months. The only thing i agree with the teacher is her alphabets and maths. I didn't push her yet to memorise her alphabets so she knows only those she finds interesting. What should i do? Is this really a cause for worry? And the funny thing is, she's totally opposite for her Chinese classes!! The teachers there always praise my girl for being independent and for having initiative :? .....HELP!!! :cry:

on_plus_kiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Perhaps she is afraid of the teacher and froze with fear, unable to response properly when questioned by the teacher.

:?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tutormum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 pm

I have a student who acts like that. She did better for Chinese cos she liked the subject. Other than that, she did badly in school and is in the worst class. She is actually very intelligent from her mannerism and conduct. From my experience as a tutor, there is nothing wrong with her and she has no learning disabilities. She is just plain lazy to do any work and refuses to learn anything unless she is forced to. There's no way one can sweet talk her to do any work and she would lie her way out. I can spend hours upon hours teaching her a concept and she will forget how to do it after a while. :x :x She can't even get the words correct when copying answers to fill in the blanks. She was in P4 last year but couldn't even do P3 work. :roll: There was once when I was very :frustrated: :frustrated: and she got the cheek to say that I shouldn't expect her to do as well as my DS3. I was :!: :!: and told her that I didn't even expect that cos she didn't have 10% of DS3. :x :x In the end, her parents and I agreed that it all boils down to her bad attitude and there's nothing we could do. :(

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby on_plus_kiasu » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Hmm... Can't comment about her attitude in school as the teachers have said little to me and has only complained about her not responding to their questions. I know she is not afraid of her teachers as she is always cheerful after class and likes to go to school. Although I admit she chooses her playmates and helps her playmates rather than doing her own stuff. Other than that, I'm :?.
My DD1 and DD2 are both very noisy at home but are the quietest whenever we are around other people even relatives. They rarely shout or make any noise and its usually more of me shouting for them to stop running or climbing. Are they considered shy? I :stupid: on what to do....
:?:

on_plus_kiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tamarind » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm

on_plus_kiasu wrote:Hmm... Can't comment about her attitude in school as the teachers have said little to me and has only complained about her not responding to their questions. I know she is not afraid of her teachers as she is always cheerful after class and likes to go to school. Although I admit she chooses her playmates and helps her playmates rather than doing her own stuff. Other than that, I'm :?.
My DD1 and DD2 are both very noisy at home but are the quietest whenever we are around other people even relatives. They rarely shout or make any noise and its usually more of me shouting for them to stop running or climbing. Are they considered shy? I :stupid: on what to do....
:?:

I don't think you should worry at all.

My kids talk non-stop at home. When in kindergarten/school, they also don't like to talk to their teachers. Teachers often comment that they are very quiet.

I think some kids, especially girls, prefer not to attract attention. They prefer to observe others quietly.

I simply ignore the teacher's feedback. I feel that if a child does not feel comfortable to talk, then it is OK that he/she does not talk.

At the end of K2, my girl performed her song and dance in front of hundreds of people during the graduation concert. She was the lead singer and she showed no signs of fear. She was so confident. :wink:

We should just let kids be the way that they like, so long as they are not mis-behaving, it is fine.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Leia vader » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

My k2 son also hyper active at home, but quiet in school.

I worry his shyness may be a problem when he goes to p1.

any parents can share their experience?

Leia vader
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tamarind » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:03 pm

My girl is now in P1. I spoke to her form teacher before. The teacher complains that other children are very noisy and naughty, and she appreciates the fact that my girl is quiet and does not disturb others :wink:

In P1, the class size is about 30, teachers actually like students who are quiet.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinkapple » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:36 pm

tamarind wrote:In P1, the class size is about 30, teachers actually like students who are quiet.

teacher here can testify to that.

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinkapple » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm

tutormum wrote:... From my experience as a tutor, there is nothing wrong with her and she has no learning disabilities. She is just plain lazy to do any work and refuses to learn anything unless she is forced to. ... In the end, her parents and I agreed that it all boils down to her bad attitude and there's nothing we could do. :(

maybe some1 should classify laziness as a learning disability/ disorder...

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm

pinkapple wrote:
tamarind wrote:In P1, the class size is about 30, teachers actually like students who are quiet.

teacher here can testify to that.

But DS1's teacher say that he is quiet in class and hopes that he can come out to talk more :? Sometimes I dunno what they want.....talk too much, complain; talk too little, got comment. Maybe they just run out of words to say....

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child