Wrong on simple questions, Correct on difficult questions

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Wrong on simple questions, Correct on difficult questions

Postby daisyt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 am

From the NJC thread, I see a few parents discussing about this issue. Actually, my dd also facing the same problem since P6. At that time, it was not so obvious but recently in Sec 2, we realised its becoming more serious. At first was only Maths, then extend to Science and Geo. Those simple and easy questions, she would get them wrong. Those difficult questions, that require more writing, she can get most correct.

Anyone can advise, where is the problem? :? TIA

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 am

Is it cause maybe overconfidence :?

cause when that comes in kids feel the easy ones are just left hand game and they dont pay attention to the smaller details and ends up wrongly... where as for difficult ones they wanna concentrate and get it right... it doesnt mean the easier ones they cannot solve or write its just they dont concentrate cause they have a feeling they know it and will be right...

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 am

My son too, and given that there are more easy questions, this can be a problem :(.

I'm not sure it's overconfidence. Maybe partly? But also, there's a lot of over thinking, *slap forehead*. He says "can't be so easy what." Sounds like it's the same with your DD, Daisyt?

Would love to hear suggestions on how to help. I thought just long term, general exposure?

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:36 am

Blobbi wrote: *slap forehead*.

can use :slapshead: this now :wink:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 am

lovekidsverymuch wrote:
Blobbi wrote: *slap forehead*.

can use :slapshead: this now :wink:

That one macam I can't stop hantamming myself like that. I only want to slap forehead once mah.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:48 am

Blobbi wrote:That one macam I can't stop hantamming myself like that. I only want to slap forehead once mah.

hehehehe yeah true it keep on banging but its cute :P

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 am

True. Cute lah. Eh, we OT liao. Let's :siam:!

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Aiyooo...DS is like that too. It's very obvious for math since P1. I think the mind not engage & goes to semi trance mode (cause I'm like that). I realize it's the same for piano too. Once it's a new song, he's enthusiastic to learn & capture it perfectly. Once that is done (it's really super fast), then the playing for the mastered song, goes down the drain.

So, I don't dare to cover any subject in advance. I was hoping that he finds school exciting with the subject taught by teachers in school. How?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Blobbi wrote:My son too, and given that there are more easy questions, this can be a problem :(.

I'm not sure it's overconfidence. Maybe partly? But also, there's a lot of over thinking, *slap forehead*. He says "can't be so easy what." Sounds like it's the same with your DD, Daisyt?

Would love to hear suggestions on how to help. I thought just long term, general exposure?

hi blobbi, no, she never said that before.
What worrying me more now, it is extending to more subjects. I asked her, whats wrong, she also :?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Maybe they just need more drilling in easy questions as well?

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child