To be a child Guardian

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

To be a child Guardian

Postby little patrick » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Dear all

My friend is offering me to be his son guardian as the parents will not be in Singapore for few years. The kid is P4 and same school with my son P2.

I'm a working mother, currently my son is in SCC. My friend has suggested to get a maid so that can take care the two kids, his son and my son.

As I know there will be alot of responsibility to be a Child Guardian, but what they willing to pay was just slightly more than enough to cover a maid and the kid daily expenses.....

I would like to hear from the rest opinion as well advise me what must I take note if I want to take up this offer.

Thanks in advance

little patrick
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby westmom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Personally I wouldn't do this (to be a guardian) unless this is really a very close friend or if I need the money. This is huge responsibility and depending on what kind of character your friend's son is, it will have a profound impact on the development on your own son and day to day family matters. Getting a new maid may bring another set of problems - you have 2 additional persons to be responsible for (your friend son and the maid). I know of someone who is paid 1.5k per month for only food and lodging to be a P 4 guardian.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:39 pm

do you know your friend really well? do you know if the kid has any disciplinary issues or what is the kid's character?
just to share, many years ago, my mum is a guardian to her bro's son who came to SG to study in a primary school. the kid stole from my dad numerous times and my mum felt unable to control him. the last straw came when he played truant in school and then went missing for a few days. the kid's mum and sis had to flew in and together with my parents, went all over the area searching for him. his mum cried every day, worrying that he might fall victim to some bad people and get into trouble with the law. even went to consult a medium to try to locate him. (thinking back, not sure if police report was launched.) finally found him and sent him straight home together with his mum without delay (cos worry he'll run away again). luckily, the relationship between my mum and his bro did not sour because of this.
is it worth the risk? unless it is really close friend or relative, then you better think twice.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LKVM » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:57 am

westmom wrote:if I need the money.

But then the parents watever giving is just enuf to cover the maid exp and the kids fees etc so cannot be the need of money kinda thing :?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GreenQ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 am

That means you have to help the child ready for his PSLE.

Even though she is your close friend or relative, you may risk your close relationship with her in future after you take up this task. Taking care of a maid and a boy can have many unexpected issues. Think twice.

GreenQ
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby little patrick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Dear all

Thanks for your advise.

Is truth, anything can be happened, is not worth to take this huge responsibility and some more they are not paying alot of $$.

Thank again

little patrick
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby westmom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 pm

lovekidsverymuch wrote:
westmom wrote:if I need the money.

But then the parents watever giving is just enuf to cover the maid exp and the kids fees etc so cannot be the need of money kinda thing :?

I'm speaking from a general perspective.....some guardians do make "profit" from these arrangements....

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child