All About Weiqi and Chess

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

which would you pick?

Chess
59%
Weiqi
41%

Total votes: 81

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by Blissedsher » Sun May 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Anyone here can provide info on SCF . Is it good to learn chess there?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:75

Post by zac's mum » Sun May 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Blissedsher wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:45 pm
Their classes are very highly structured (good and bad, depends on your child’s personality). June holiday will probably have holiday course. If not you can also do weekly class.

PoopyBear
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by PoopyBear » Sun May 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Blissedsher wrote:
Instructors are non-local talents, admin staff made rude comments when I stepped out of office, early progression slow, stuffy tiny rooms. No other option if you stay in or near Bishan.

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Blissedsher » Fri May 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Poppybear or others do u all have other recommanded chess school in singapore . Coming from northeast area

oplo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by oplo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Blissedsher wrote:
Feedback after 3 courses at SCF; Significant amount of time spent in class playing chess among participants, little teaching and instructor watching handphone with earpiece. Parents can request to examine course materials to see how much contents is covered per class. Each class is barely few pages of materials.

Basically parents are paying for child to spar with other children of the same level in a classroom and the instructor is a facilitator.

It’s as good as playing online with someone of the same level. Parents can also borrow or buy chess books online for their child to learn. It’s probably more effective and efficient than travel to SCF for class.

isn4i
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by isn4i » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Didn't like the WeiQi class at Bishan CC because the instructor cannot control the class and children being children will be playful amongst themselves especially older boys. No printed notes or theory exercises, everything just flashed on the screen so it's difficult to do revision with child after class. Not sure if its worth few hundreds of dollars. Anyone has experience with The Go Academy semester class?

AnneS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by AnneS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am

My friend's son went to The Go Academy last year. I heard good feedback so far but I haven't tried it myself.

skii
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by skii » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:37 am

AnneS wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am
My friend's son went to The Go Academy last year. I heard good feedback so far but I haven't tried it myself.
I am keen to check out the place too.
saw their course schedule for the most elementary class and unfortunately, it started in July and will end in November, thus we can only join in Jan 2020.

Any feedback about the sch at Ulu Pandan CC?

abhcbl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by abhcbl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 am

It all depends on the mix of students that you get ... but consistently told that above 10K, GO Academy is better unless your kids are in the National Youth Team (U12). For beginner till 10K, seems like not much different between the two. For Elementary, SWA is $365 for 24hrs (with 10% early bird discount), GO Academy is $380 for 18hrs. For those who are at high Kyu going for Dan certification likely some one-to-one or small group lessons will be better.

CalvinS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by CalvinS » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:16 pm

abhcbl wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 am
It all depends on the mix of students that you get ... but consistently told that above 10K, GO Academy is better unless your kids are in the National Youth Team (U12). For beginner till 10K, seems like not much different between the two. For Elementary, SWA is $365 for 24hrs (with 10% early bird discount), GO Academy is $380 for 18hrs. For those who are at high Kyu going for Dan certification likely some one-to-one or small group lessons will be better.
Very helpful info, thank you for sharing this. :thankyou: