All About Weiqi and Chess

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

which would you pick?

Chess
59%
Weiqi
41%

Total votes: 81

Rachel572
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by Rachel572 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 am

Does playing chess almost everyday has an impact on a 10-year old child in either positive or negative effect? I don't know if I should be worry about it because my kid prefers to spend more time playing chess, like for 2 to 3 hours, than attending his arts workshop?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by zac's mum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 am

Rachel572 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 am
Does playing chess almost everyday has an impact on a 10-year old child in either positive or negative effect? I don't know if I should be worry about it because my kid prefers to spend more time playing chess, like for 2 to 3 hours, than attending his arts workshop?
If he has such a keen interest in Chess over Art, I don’t see what’s wrong with encouraging this. I think many Chess masters started out that way too, practising for hours on end out of interest.

The only thing to worry about is if he is playing it online...his eyes need a proper rest...and also beware online predators. Try to encourage him to play with real people so that at least he can build social interaction skills. There are weekly Chess clubs at community centers that he can join.