All About Weiqi and Chess

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.
Post Reply

which would you pick?

Chess
53
61%
Weiqi
34
39%
 
Total votes: 87

Rachel572
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 07,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by Rachel572 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 am

Does playing chess almost everyday has an impact on a 10-year old child in either positive or negative effect? I don't know if I should be worry about it because my kid prefers to spend more time playing chess, like for 2 to 3 hours, than attending his arts workshop?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3364
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:115

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by zac's mum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 am

Rachel572 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 am
Does playing chess almost everyday has an impact on a 10-year old child in either positive or negative effect? I don't know if I should be worry about it because my kid prefers to spend more time playing chess, like for 2 to 3 hours, than attending his arts workshop?
If he has such a keen interest in Chess over Art, I don’t see what’s wrong with encouraging this. I think many Chess masters started out that way too, practising for hours on end out of interest.

The only thing to worry about is if he is playing it online...his eyes need a proper rest...and also beware online predators. Try to encourage him to play with real people so that at least he can build social interaction skills. There are weekly Chess clubs at community centers that he can join.

toutoulang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 12,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by toutoulang » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:32 am

Can I check with parents here? My son loves to play Chinese chess. He wants to find someone to play with him. Any idea where he can go to find people to play with him? We stay in Pasir Ris.

Shils78@hotmail.com
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 22,

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by Shils78@hotmail.com » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi all I sell personalised unique chess sets. Pls contact me on 84088477 @Tinker Madness a Singapore registered company. for more information. Kids are loving the personalisation :).

yuuri
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Apr 10,

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by yuuri » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:42 am

Is there any Chinese Chess Competition that one can join as a private candidate ?


sin2x
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 23,

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by sin2x » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi,
Does anyone has recommendation for chess instructor? I would like to arrange a private lesson for my son. TIA.

manorway
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jul 31,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by manorway » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Anyone can share your experience with the chess camps at Power Chess?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3364
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:115

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by zac's mum » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 pm

manorway wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 pm
Anyone can share your experience with the chess camps at Power Chess?
What would you like to know?

manorway
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jul 31,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by manorway » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:06 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 pm
manorway wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 pm
Anyone can share your experience with the chess camps at Power Chess?
What would you like to know?
For example, if it is just for experience or kids can learn a lot? If those who had been would recommend a kid keen to learn chess to go?

Do instructors give honest feedback after the camp?

If parents have experience with other chess schools too, please recommend which is better and how can we choose? Thanks

I spoke to 3 parents casually and all said (separate occasions) the instructor at Power Chess told them their kid was good, has potential to play chess. So encourage them to sign up weekly class. I suppose the instructor must say nice things, otherwise who will continue or maybe coincidentally all these have potential.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3364
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:115

Re: All About Weiqi and Chess

Post by zac's mum » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:53 pm

manorway wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:06 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 pm
manorway wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 pm
Anyone can share your experience with the chess camps at Power Chess?
What would you like to know?
For example, if it is just for experience or kids can learn a lot? If those who had been would recommend a kid keen to learn chess to go?

Do instructors give honest feedback after the camp?

If parents have experience with other chess schools too, please recommend which is better and how can we choose? Thanks

I spoke to 3 parents casually and all said (separate occasions) the instructor at Power Chess told them their kid was good, has potential to play chess. So encourage them to sign up weekly class. I suppose the instructor must say nice things, otherwise who will continue or maybe coincidentally all these have potential.
If your kid is a total newbie to the Chess rules and basic strategies, go for the holiday camps by Singapore Chess Federation at Bishan CC. They have a very structured course for beginners which DS tried. It is very theoretical, every day they will bring home worksheets that revise each structured topic, it’s very clearly taught & the kid needs to do it diligently.

My main gripe with the SCF camp (besides the cramped classrooms) was that the teacher taught it like a school lesson and did not welcome any discussions or chitchat from my talkative son. They assume every Chess enthusiast is a quiet introverted type.

Power Chess is more like a chess club. Now that DS knows the basic strategies etc, I send DS there for adhoc lessons during the holidays. Eg the camp dates but I don’t send the whole week, only selected dates that he can make it. Sometimes before competition also can arrange intensive adhoc lesson. The place is open every weekday afternoon (and weekends of course), the in-house Grandmaster is a full-time staff so always there to coach the kids. There is no structured curriculum. The kids go and play with suitable opponents of similar level as them, and the coach will walk around to give pointers. He may teach advanced strategies on the whiteboard to the more advanced kids, but mostly it is an informal “practical application” setting rather than dry theory. I like them because they don’t shut my kid up if he wants to talk while playing. It is a social setting for him to enjoy himself with like-minded opponents.

Kid brings home 1 page worksheets for homework, but these are merely “mate-in-one” exercises that can easily be obtained online from Chess websites.

No personalized feedback from the coach. The owner, however, will tell you grandfather stories of his experience with so many kids’ successful DSA blah blah. Up to you whether you want to see it as a marketing tactic or not.

You gauge on whatever you/your child needs. My vote is SCF for theoretical grounding, Power Chess is like a club to build up experience with suitable opponents.

I have friend who send their kids to SCF weekly classes, the good ones will be selected for national squad. If you like this kind of ladder to climb, go there.

Post Reply