St John Island

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

St John Island

Postby super_dad » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Just went there for a day trip. It had been donkey years since I have been there, and things are kind of changed.

general info.
1. $15 per pax, child $12.
2. parking is ex...$1 per hour, outside the compound, $1 per hour for the 1st 2 hour, and subsequently $2 per hour, inside the compound.
3. Ferry terminal at Marina South.
4. Limited timings for the ferry on a normal day. 3x per day. Miss the last one, you will need to stay over at St John (which is not allowed, unless you are staying in a chalet). On Sun and Pub hols, ferry comes every hr.
5. NO food/drinks there at all for the buying....

http://nafishnafish.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... sland.html

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Hmmm... I don't even remember the last time I went to St John's Island. And I'm always confused between St John and Kusu Islands - one used to be for quarantines and the other filled with turtles?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:06 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Hmmm... I don't even remember the last time I went to St John's Island. And I'm always confused between St John and Kusu Islands - one used to be for quarantines and the other filled with turtles?

St John is the one for quarantine...long ago.
Kusu is the one for tortise, (don't think got turtle) and the chinese temple. Kusu is the smaller one. At the near distance, is Sister island.

Actually, they are not far...just that not easy to get there.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:42 pm

Personally I have not been to St John Island. What is there to do there? Anything suitable for kids beside fishing?

phantom
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:46 pm

hmmm want to know what we can do there too...my only memories of St Jones island is more than 10 yrs ago during my sec school days. And all those ghost stories about the place.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby super_dad » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Had been really bz.

St John is a good outing for a lazy afternoon. There is a lagoon there, whereby kids can go swim a little. I was there fishing, so it was quite interesting to me. But other than that, nothing very much really. A big part of the island is out of bounds....I think. But if you are adventurous, there's lots of trekking you can do. There is also a chalet there for the booking...I think quite cheaply. The last standing cafe on the island, sadly had closed down. But you could spend 2 hrs there, and then head to Kusu on the next ferry to visit Kusu, and its famed temple.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Padre » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Folks,

I stayed in the Chalet some time back.

It's a very kampung kind of lodge with detached bathrooms.

Yes, a big part of the island has been gazetted for the Tropical Marine Science Institute (www.tmsi.nus.edu.sg). They have an outreach programme where the public can sign up to visit the research facilities. Unfortunately, our visit did not coincide with one.

Some of the things we did during our stay:
1. Walking among the multitude of fiddler crabs on the beach
2. Taking an intertidal walk during the low tides. You'll be surprised at what you can see.
3. Watching the sun set.
4. Watch the mainland's cityscape light up the horizon.
5. Cooking in the well-equiped kitchen was some fun for the whole family.

Cheers!

Padre

P/S: The turtles on Kusu island are really, turtles. They live in a very deplorable condition in the man-made lagoon. Some baby turtles were starved to death. They, in turn, became food for their siblings. So sad.... :cry:

Padre
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Social, Outings, and Games