All About Weiqi and Chess

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

which would you pick?

Chess
58%
Weiqi
42%

Total votes : 48

Asean Chess Academy

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:11 pm

I was strolling around the furniture mall at The Plaza at Beach Road when I stumbled upon the Asean Chess Academy http://www.intchessasia.com/site/index.htm at the 3rd floor. Really interesting sight to see young children deep in thought fighting a war of attrition when most kids of that age would be lounging around in front of the TV on a lazy weekend afternoon.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jam.2008 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:15 am

Ya. My kids attending lessons there and they enjoyed it very much.

jam.2008
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby EN » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi

I have a request from ds & would like to seek feedback from parents whose children are into chess & are currently attending clubs or formal training.

1) How are the kids taught in the chess club?
2) Does playing against the same novice player weekly, will allow the kid to improve without any guidance from the trainer?
3) Is it sufficient/advisable for me to just send ds to chess enrichment during school holidays & for his daily request, he has to make do with our (dh & me) limited knowledge in playing the game.

I do appreciate any other feedback. I need to consider all option before I try to coax him to go back to his eca (it’s free) or choose option 3. At the moment, he refused to continue with the eca & has been trying to get us to play/coach him daily.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Sep Holiday Programme for Asean Chess Academy

Postby acforfamily » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 am

Hi,
They are holding Sep holiday classes, ranging from beginners to developmental ( I guess it means advanced). Mon to Fri for 5 days - 1.5 hr each time.

Has anyone tried their holiday programmes before? How are their lessons conducted?

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby moonee » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:38 am

Holiday classes for chess at asian chess academy are the same as their normal classes except u complete d course at a shorter time frame. The normal being 10 weeks/one can complete each stage in a week for holiday classes.

moonee
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:17 am

This reminds me of how I hate playing chess with my P3 dd. Really hurts my ego to be beaten by her after less than 20 moves. She's always going "What's your strategy, mom?" when I'm actually just trying to evade and survive in every single move - WHAT STRATEGY! :x If she goes "Mom, let me give you a tip - you'd better move ...... OR ELSE !!!!" :stupid: one more time, I swear I'll throw the chess set down the chute. You know, I was in my school's chess club and I recall endless enjoyable games with my friends without worrying too much about strategy and whatnot. It was a social thing. 8)

To save myself from further embarrassement, maybe I should send dd to one of these clubs or classes where she'll find more promising opponents.

Do they teach strategy or just provide you with a more advanced opponent at these classes? Roughly what's the fees like?

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 pm

If you are comfortable with your kid playing online chess, here are the links

http://apps.facebook.com/cp_chess/index.asp

http://board-games.pogo.com/games/online-chess

I am not a grandmaster but a good social chess player. let me know when your kid is itching for an online game and we can arrange for a match. :)

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Tks, heutistmeintag for the links. Will get dd to play online the next time she bugs me. As for your generous offer to play online with her, :wink:

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby moonee » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:25 am

heutistmeintag wrote:If you are comfortable with your kid playing online chess, here are the links

http://apps.facebook.com/cp_chess/index.asp

http://board-games.pogo.com/games/online-chess

I am not a grandmaster but a good social chess player. let me know when your kid is itching for an online game and we can arrange for a match. :)

Hi, my daughter is interested in playing chess, perhaps if u dnt mind, can i get her to play with u online one of these days ? She has played online on facebook.

moonee
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Chess Lessons for Pre-Schoolers

Postby sksk » Sun May 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Can anyone recommend a place which conducts chess lessons for pre-schoolers?

sksk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Social, Outings, and Games