How to entertain toddlers while waiting or on plane

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

How to entertain toddlers while waiting or on plane

Postby Little Pudding » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 am

Hi all, anyone has ideas how to entertain toddlers while waiting for something (food/queue) or on plane?

Tried using ipad, colouring books , snacks (like raisins), toys but the attention span is between 5 - 10 mins only.

Little Pudding
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to entertain toddlers while waiting or on plane

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am

I don't think you can expect more from a toddler. What I did was to have a series of different things which I produced one at a time, keeping the old ones when I brought out a new one. After a while, the 'old' becomes 'new' again. If you can, try to avoid bringing toddlers with you if you know you need to queue or wait. I was a SAHM with no help, so I tried to do as much online as possible, or schedule queuing for when my husband was around to babysit. For planes, try to time flights so that your child's nap time is during the flight (not before!) or make your child reasonably tired before the flight (take long walks all over the waiting area), so he is likely to fall asleep. And make sure you bring a bag of little toys (not noisy ones), books, snacks etc and take them out one at a time. The only consolation I can offer, having travelled a lot with my kids from their babyhood, is that they eventually grow up!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummychua » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:42 am

how old is ur toddler?

im dd is 2.5yr old now. she gal loves puzzle so that could keep her entertain for a long time. another very interesting thing for her is stickers. once they hit 2, i find that they can sit still long, concentrate on a activate longer too. before that, i will be walking with her up and down the plane.

mummychua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby iggy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Agree with simkhoo's tips. I bring many little toys/books etc. it also depends on what will captivate your child. Mine likes stickers and I bought along a stack. She will be sticking them on her books or I will stick them and ask her to find them.

One advice though is to avoid red eye flight. Even if you don't mind the displeasure from the other pAssengers, it can be tough to manage in the darkness if your toddler doesn't sleep due to excitement or discomfort.

iggy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Little Pudding » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Yup i tried bringing some small toys and only take them out one by one.. but he gets bored very fast and starts throwing them on the floor. Perhaps i can try puzzles ..& stickers...

I found out he like markers... of coz those washable one that can be wipe off with wet tissue.

My son is only turnin 2 this Dec.

Little Pudding
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby davidwatson1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 pm

My toddler loves Barbie. So I take her Barbie with her and she would spend all her time playing with her, making her eat, dressing her, patting her, etc. as if she is her friend.

davidwatson1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Social, Outings, and Games