Games, games, games

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

Games, games, games

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Monza by Haba

The theme of this game is car racing vroom vrooom. The game is for 2-6 players for ages 5-99.

Although it's stated for 5-99, I played with bb and she gets it on how to play the game. At least to my eyes, she seems to get it heehee

The objective of the game is simply to race round the track and be the first.

So cute the racing car with the driver :please:

Love the components, so cute and well-made

By rolling these six dice, they will decide the number and the colour space that you are able to move. Players move the cars by comparing the colours rolled with the colours ahead of their cars.

It's a very simple game. Yet, it helps with basic planning and thinking skills, as players try to maximise the number of spaces they can move with the colours that they have rolled. At the same time trying to avoid blocked spaces and plan the shortest possible route to the finishing line.

Drivers waiting for the flag off.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Games, games, games

Postby Imami » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:50 am

Sahm tan, this thread is to share interesting/fun/educational games for our children?

The set you have posted looks something my son would enjoy, where did u get it?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 am

Imami wrote:Sahm tan, this thread is to share interesting/fun/educational games for our children?

The set you have posted looks something my son would enjoy, where did u get it?

I never really thought abt the purpose of this thread. Jialat heehee. Your statement will do too.

You have asked me a question that I'm not sure how to answer. I find it difficult to answer becos there may be other possible options that I have not explored. Can piang right my response to your simple qn. :faint:

The simplest answer is : I know that an online shop MyFirstGames is/was selling, now I don't know abt the stock qty. The part II of the reply is google, like I'm making life difficult hor, and see what other possible options is more suitable/appealing for you. :)

Any parents who have this game, pls share other ways to buy it if any.

To set expectation, it's a simple and quick game.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:
I never really thought abt the purpose of this thread. Jialat heehee. Your statement will do too.

You have asked me a question that I'm not sure how to answer. I find it difficult to answer becos there may be other possible options that I have not explored. Can piang right my response to your simple qn. :faint:

Is it you hv a lot on your mind/in your life lately? I sense a change in the way you word your posts lately. Dunno why, just a gut feel. :hugs: never mind la, no answer, no answer lor.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Imami wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:

Is it you hv a lot on your mind/in your life lately? I sense a change in the way you word your posts lately. Dunno why, just a gut feel. :hugs: never mind la, no answer, no answer lor.

I'm ok, thanks for asking :smile:

Maybe alot of things going on in my brain, but all good. :smile:

You can try MyFirstGames or google.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Set
The family game of perception. It is a games for 6 to adult, can be played by 1 or more.

This game is just a pack of 81 cards.

The cards have four characteristics. You can group them by shapes, colour, number/quantity and shading (solid, striped or outlined)

The objective of the game is to find a set of 3 cards. The rule is the 3 cards must either have the same characteristics (of shapes and/or colour and/or qty and /or shading) or all different characteristics (of shapes and/or colour and/or qty and /or shading)

For example:

The above is a set, All three cards have the same shape, all the same colours, all the same qty, all different shadings.

The shapes, colours and qty can be different too but if wish to make a set than, either all shapes different, or all colours different or all qty different. The shadings can be all same too.

Here's another example:

The above is a set. All three cards have all different qty, all different colours, all different shapes, all same shadings.

Last example for those who don't get it yet.

The above is a set. All three cards have all different qty, all different colours, all different shapes and all different shadings.

Let me show an example of NOT a set

The above is not a set because although the cards all have same number, same shape, all different colours but for the shadings, two are the same and one is different.

ds is 6yos and he totally gets how to play this game.

I have never won a game so far :cry: The winner is the one who has the most number of sets. The competition is always between dd1 and ds. I'm left far far behind.

Here's how the game is set up

As a set if found, the person will take the three cards and another three cards from the play pile will be added on to replace the taken ones.

The speed of the game depends on how fast the players can spot the sets. The game is always different, we are always looking at making different sets. I didn't think we will like it as much but the kids enjoy it.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Dear SAHM_TAN,

Thank you for sharing the above game -Visual Perception.

I am actually looking for this set.

May i know where can I purchase it?

:smile:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Dear SAHM_TAN,

Thank you for sharing the above game -Visual Perception.

I am actually looking for this set.

May i know where can I purchase it?

:smile:

Here's a list. Not sure abt stock level, so giving more options, they are not listed according to merit and not exhaustive. They are online shops. They all have this item on their site.

Myfirstgames

boardgamelifestyle

world-of-board-games

hobbygamesmart

The title of game is SET or SET game

I have purchased games fr the above online shops and sales experience is good for all.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Granny Apples by Gamewright

Number of players 2 - 6 and the age group is 8 and above

Here are the components of the game:

8 wood apple halves
10 half apple tokens
75 whole apple tokens
Granny's apple basket

The game components are well-made, the wood apples feel good and nice to hold and the tokens are made with thick cardboard.

I will just introduce the general idea of the game. I make a few changes when I play this. When we play games, we play down the competitivness and focus more on the learning. Like learning how to lose, how to win without gloating, be supportive and celebrate the play.

The objective of the game is to accurately count the apples. If the answer is correct, the player gets the same number of apples as the answer. For example if the answer is 2 apples, then the player can get 2 apple tokens.

The kids like to use the granny's apple basket to roll out the 12 wood apples, so we use it instead of putting apples meant for granny in it.

The winner is the player with the most apple tokens by the time granny has 8 apples in her basket or in our case, in her pile.

How to count the apples

If the wood apple rolls on the flat side, that means the curve side is facing upwards, it is one apple. If the wood apple rolls on the curve side, meaning the flat side is facing up, depending on the picture, it can mean

1) half an apple, if the pic of the half apple is showing

2) If the pic is that of the worm, subtract one whole apple from the total

3) If the pic of the bird is shown, 2 scenarios, 1) if appears together with the worm, the bird will eat the worm and these two apples are ignored, if only the bird appears, then no impact to total apples too.

4) If the pic of the pie appears, then subtract two whole apples, can be in the combi of two whole apples, one whole apple and two half apples or four half apples.

5) If the pic of granny appears, do not count the apple but granny gets a whole apple token.

For example:

I rolled 2 whole apples, 3 half apples, 1 granny pic, 1 worm pic and 1 pie pic

I will give 1 whole apple token to granny's pile, since we don't use the basket for it.

I will deduct 2 whole apples becos of the pic of the pie and 2 half apples ( to make 1 whole apple) becos of the pic of the worm. In total I have half an apple. That will be my answer and I will get a half apple token.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 pm

:thankyou: SAHM_TAN!

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Social, Outings, and Games