Scooters for kids

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

Scooters for kids

Postby csb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a scooter for my 6yo son. Saw that there are different types with great price differences. Is a steel one better than an aluminium one? ToysRus has 2 models on offer at around $40 and $50, and ELC has another at more than $100. What should I look out for? Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Scooters for kids

Postby jedamum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 am

csb wrote:Hi, I'm thinking of getting a scooter for my 6yo son. Saw that there are different types with great price differences. Is a steel one better than an aluminium one? ToysRus has 2 models on offer at around $40 and $50, and ELC has another at more than $100. What should I look out for? Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

we just got ours a month ago; similar to the Toys R Us one - we should have waited! - $49.90. we just brought the kids to Kiddy Palace, try them out and got them. P1 boy got the 2 wheel type; 3yo got the 3 wheel type. the kids are pretty rough with them, so do you really want to spent a hundred bucks on it?? jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby csb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:27 pm

jedamum wrote: so do you really want to spent a hundred bucks on it?? jmho.

Hi jedamum, obviously I don't :D but I also don't one want one that breaks down after a few uses.
Can I check with you, are your kids' scooters made of steel or aluminium? Any difference?

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 pm

csb wrote:
Can I check with you, are your kids' scooters made of steel or aluminium? Any difference?

alloy aluminium - on the box (i'm a hoarder!).
erm...not sure of the difference....sorry.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Blobbi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 pm

Generally speaking, aluminium alloy has a higher strength to weight ratio, ie, for same strength, aluminium alloy is lighter. This is a very general statement. But you'll probably find that the lighter weight is touted at the shops. Lighter is seen as better. The really expensive ones are reinforced with carbon fibre, which is even lighter.

BTW, the board of the ELC one (the brand is called Micro) is plastic, so it can warp when the child gets heavier (I think the max stated is 50kg, but it warps before that). But I like the handlebar, which is a knob, so it's hard to twist sharply.
Last edited by Blobbi on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:27 pm

csb, just read your original post. Ask your son if he wants a 2-wheeler or a 3-wheeler. I think most kids want a 2-wheeler cos of the cool factor. Mine wanted that for sure, but he's got two left feet, so after some consideration, he opted for the Micro one which has 3 wheels, which is a lot more stable. The plastic is ok for his weight actually. It's just that Mummy tried to use it before :lol: , and that's when I noticed the warping. Truth is, it'll be a while before my kid touches 50kg, so we're quite happy with the purchase.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csb » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi jedamum and Blobbi, thanks for your advice. Strangely, I didn't receive the reply notifications and thus didn't get to read your posts until today.
Anyway, I bought the one that's on offer at Toyrus, and ds is his usual timid self, not daring to place his right foot on the scooter after pushing forward. So, in dh's words, he's always "hopping", with one foot on the scooter while the other is busy pushing :roll:
Didn't realise there are 2- and 3-wheeler kinds. Will go check our purchase later. Thanks again!

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:53 pm

csb,
how old is your kid?
My P1 cannot manage 2 wheeled ones when he was in K2 (so we delayed the purchase back then); but after picking up cycling on 2 wheels, now he cannot balance on the 3 wheeled scooters.
my 3yo is using the 3 wheeled ones (also of aluminium alloy material) although he can also handle his bro's 2 wheeled ones pretty well, but just that he will drop it onto the floor cos unlike 3 wheeled ones, 2 wheeled ones cannot self-support.
we had the boys in full gear (head, elbow and knee) cos they scoot really fast and up and down the handicap ramps - and they'll usually want to scoot only when each other is available for play. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby IJJ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:47 am

jedamum wrote:csb,
how old is your kid?
My P1 cannot manage 2 wheeled ones when he was in K2 (so we delayed the purchase back then); but after picking up cycling on 2 wheels, now he cannot balance on the 3 wheeled scooters.
my 3yo is using the 3 wheeled ones (also of aluminium alloy material) although he can also handle his bro's 2 wheeled ones pretty well, but just that he will drop it onto the floor cos unlike 3 wheeled ones, 2 wheeled ones cannot self-support.
we had the boys in full gear (head, elbow and knee) cos they scoot really fast and up and down the handicap ramps - and they'll usually want to scoot only when each other is available for play. :)

May I know where do u get the gear for 3 yo? I am looking for a set for my younger child. Thanks!

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:11 am

Hi jedamum, he's already 6 and is a tall boy for his age. We removed the training wheels from his bike, and he's been asking for them to be installed back. He can't cycle on 2 wheels--too timid. He's always displayed this since young--a truly "kiasi" boy. I'm not too anxious though, cos I think/hope he'll slowly get it. It's really no fun cycling/scooting the way he does now, and he'll hopefully become more daring as he gets used to these toys.

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Social, Outings, and Games