Hamsters for kids (and parents)

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

Hamsters for kids (and parents)

Postby super_dad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:30 pm

My daughter's begging for a hamster. :lol:..which will probably die under her care. To date, she has killed a few fishes, 3 tortises, 1 praying mantis, few grasshoppers, 1 starfish etc.....

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 pm

super_dad wrote:She's begging for a hamster. :lol:..which will probably die under her care. To date, she has killed a few fishes, 3 tortises, 1 praying mantis, few grasshoppers, 1 starfish etc.....

No mammals yet. That's good news. But hamsters are cute under you witness them eating their young... it grossed me out so much that I never want to touch one again.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:03 am

Strangely, hamsters would only eat their young if the mother sense that the environment is not condusive. It is nature way of preserving the energy for another generation.

Hmm...we should have a thread to discuss about animals and kids.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:58 am

Getting your kid to rear a pet and write a blog about them seems like a good idea.

But I have bad experience rearing a hamster. They get smelly and hard to manage. Sometimes they even bite, so may not be safe to be handled by kids

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Btw...you are talking to a hamster expert here :).

I had a whole hamster farm previously and was selling the offsprings and supplying them to shops :)

Hamster come in a few varieties..some of which are aggressive ie they bite. There are some that are tame like anything. No matter how you squeeze them, they don't sink their sharp nibbly teeth into your hands. You have to look out for those. The sapphires and the winterwhites are the tame ones. the campbells are the naughty ones. Robos are usually ok, but they are quick like lightning...and it is very hard to hold them still and stroke them. :)

As for the stink, the hamsters don't like it too. You have to be discipline to keep the cage clean. And that will take lots of work. Using those shavings that absorb and deodorize the smell will help.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:06 pm

super_dad wrote:Btw...you are talking to a hamster expert here :).

I had a whole hamster farm previously and was selling the offsprings and supplying them to shops :)

Wah so solid! I had a couple of hamsters too... don't really know what they are but they are very light grey and white with slitty eyes. Not sapphires or winterwhites for sure. And they bite even if they are not provoked... u just have to reach out to them.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:49 pm

Lost touch with hamsters already...but there are many variants...believe or not, the aggressive trait is hereditary..it is passed on from parents to offspring. So, character sometimes is inborned.

Therefore Kiasu parents will have Kiasu children. :D

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 pm

super_dad wrote:...

That's probably true. Some gene thing going on here. By the way, I split this thread to a new one in case the original poster screams and wonder what hamsters have to do with creative writing :shock:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:59 pm

super_dad wrote:Lost touch with hamsters already...but there are many variants...believe or not, the aggressive trait is hereditary..it is passed on from parents to offspring. So, character sometimes is inborned.

Oh, you are going into the gene thing. So it come to the question of can a child from a average parents get nurture into some talent? That's a hard questions. But seems like it is easier to be seen in animals that lots of characters are hereditary.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby wet » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:18 pm

i have been severely loaded since young for my insurance because of the medical history of both my parents (high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke), although I exhibit none (hopefully never :) ) of the conditions. but it's a great way for insurance companies to make money by blaming the parents.

wet
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Next

Return to Social, Outings, and Games