What kind of pets you children have?

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

What pets are your children keeping?

Rabbits
11%
Hamsters
16%
Fishes
21%
Birds
No votes
Terrapins
5%
Dogs
32%
Cats
5%
Hermit Crabs
5%
Others
5%

Total votes : 19

What kind of pets you children have?

Postby super_dad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:17 pm

My girl already got before
1. A bird
2. A few terrapins
3. Some fishes
4. Some grasshoppers
5. A couple spiders.

All died. :(...next time I will go for more robotic ones.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: What kind of pets you children have?

Postby jedamum » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:27 pm

super_dad wrote:My girl already got before
1. A bird
2. A few terrapins
3. Some fishes
4. Some grasshoppers
5. A couple spiders.

All died. :(...next time I will go for more robotic ones.

Ask my boy if he want to keep pets. he said he has no time to take care of it, we have no place at home to put and mummy (aka me) is too busy taking care of didi (my ds2) to take care of pets. :lol: I prefer him not to have pets cos ended up I will be the one taking care of it. My husband has not own any pets since young. I used to own some ants, a fighting fish and some guppies when I was young. 'Tortured' the guppies too much (scoop them out to play) that they jumped out of the water and died. :shock:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: What kind of pets you children have?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:11 pm

jedamum wrote:... I used to own some ants, a fighting fish and some guppies when I was young. 'Tortured' the guppies too much (scoop them out to play) that they jumped out of the water and died. :shock:

Ants? I thought I was the only wierdo that do experiments with ants since I was 6. Never managed to rear fish... I kept wondering why the hole I dug in the garden couldn't hold the water I poured inside... but quite successful with mammals such as dogs and hamsters. I had an awful relation with a parakeet... he hates my guts and just want to have a piece of me everytime I come near... the feeling was mutual. Gave it away to my aunt who reported that he was very happy with her until he died 2 weeks later in her care. Always wondered if that story was just a cover up after she murdered it for biting her or something.

Wait... sorry... got carried away. We were talking about pets for kids. The best pets are really dogs... they are huggable, and trainable. But fur loss could be a problem for kids with respiratory problems, so try to get those with long coats. And don't get the whimpy types like chihuahuas.. many a times when I go to the vet I see these dogs being brought in traumatized by the screaming kids running in their wake. Golden retrievers are excellent, but silky terriers are also ok for hdb dwellers.

I have a neighbour with a lovebird for her daughter. Wings clipped, so no need for a cage, and can carry around. Just the other day, I saw this uncle with an amazing bird that is perched on his shoulder and hopping around freely. The bird even listens to him and hops back to him when he calls!
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Keeping pet not easy. I have kept lots of pets before and most died prematurely. My son played with some stray cats and got scratched before, but he seems to like cats and dogs. But too troublesome, don't think I would let him rear those.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:11 am

When I was younger, my house was literally a zoo. Got tortoise, birds, fishes, white mice and bed bugs. Only don't have cats and dogs, as not allowed in a crammy 3 room flat. When I got my own house, I had cats, hamsters and rabbits..and marine fishes.

I think keeping pets is a learning process, about love for animals. My feeling is that children should have some experiences in trying out, as it really teaches about love, caring and responsiblities. The important lesson is that when something lives is in their hands, what do they need to do?

Of cos along the way, many pets will die due to neglect and unintentional abuses. These are also important lessons about life and death, and how they could do it better the next time. Lessons like these, they will bring it with them when they grow older, understanding about how caring for their own is important.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Picolo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Caterpillars.

Lime Caterpillars.
(look like this: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135386 )

We have a science experiment container with 2 holes. Whenever we see a tiny caterpillar on our neighbour's lime plants, we would transfer the caterpillar to our container and feed the caterpillar leaves daily until it changes to a pupa, then a beautiful butterfly. Then, we let it fly away.

Now, we have two containers. I used to be the one to initiate the 'catching' but now, even my maid catches on the trend and very excited when she finds caterpillars on our neighbour's plant. :lol:

Through this, my sons have learnt to appreciate and respect nature. Yesterday, while DS1 and some classmates were playing after school, he ran over to tell me that his well-mannered classmate (a gal) was destroying a small plant. He tried to explain to the classmate she should not damage the plants but she couldn't understand.

--

We tried keeping fishes, but not much luck so we stopped. We like dogs, cats and other furry animals but won't keep them as pets as the kids are prone to asthmatic and skin kind of allergies.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sashimi » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:07 pm

You people are HILARIOUS! Almost laughed out loud in office here!

My daughter of course went through the "Can I have a kitten?" / "Can I have a puppy?" phase. My wife and I declined, more because there's no one at home to take care of such a pet than because we don't want. We all dearly wish we could have a cat.

So anyway, last year I promised to get her fish, but procrastinated until the day her childcare brought her to a fish farm and she came back with 4 "longkang h'r". One of which very soon GAVE BIRTH to some 20 babies.

3 adults died and we released the mother in a nearby longkang since she kept treating her babies as breakfast. This was last July.

From August, I bought a proper tank and we went through some trials, errors, the occasional anti-social fish, and a trail of dead fish.

Now we have a bunch of horny guppies, plus one very amusing weather loach called Snakey, an "albino loach" (not sure what is proper name) my DD calls "vacuum cleaner", and 2 very hardworking otocinclus called "Mu-ee" and "Ee-mo" - my daughter has a fascination with these cleaning types.

We achieved one of our goals, which was to teach her that having a pet is a serious responsibility, and that they can die. We lost one original vacuum cleaner and also one female guppy, both events which quite upset her.

OH, and in a separate tank, we have a nursery of 6 longkang fishlets and 6 gupplets, or whatever you call guppy babies.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:13 pm

Talking about fish as pet, one day, my son brought back a little fish from school suddenly, given by the teacher. I think it is suppose to let the kid know how to care for little animal. And because I don't have fish food and fish tank, I scrambled to get fish food for it, cost me $8. And then the fish died 3 days later :x My fish food still siting there in my cupboard.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:01 pm

hmmm I am scared of fish (scare that they will jump out from their tanks ) and I don dare to pick them up...so no fishes as pets for me.

My boy likes furry animals- hamsters, bunnies, cats, dogs. he want to touch them whenever he saw them and he took one of my softtoy cat and tie a leash around its neck and pretend it's his pets.

Though of getting him a pet eventually but when I ask him who will take care of his pet - shower the pet, feed it, sayang the pet ...he says "ga ga" . :oops: guess he's not ready for one yet.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby winth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 pm

We had a chihuahua before I got pregnant with my DS1. Then the chihuahua stayed with us till my DS1 was about 2 years old that we had to give him away as our schedule didn't allow us to take care of it. Plus my DS1 was so demanding.

So, years later, we bought a baby koi to swim in our small fountain. We thought that when the koi grows up bigger, we can have an excuse to change to a bigger fountain. But it didn't. 2 weeks later it died. I was so upset and my boy cried. :cry:

Now, we are into growing plants. Hope that qualifies as having a 'pet'. We bought our own soil, seeds and flower pot. Failed experiment for a few times, seedling didn't manage to grow.
Just 2 week ago, I tried again, with lots of water to make sure soil is moist. And this time, the seedlings did grow beautifully. Hope they survive and grow into beautiful plants. My 2 boys are so excited when we water the plants together. :pray:

We have a science experiment container with 2 holes. Whenever we see a tiny caterpillar on our neighbour's lime plants, we would transfer the caterpillar to our container and feed the caterpillar leaves daily until it changes to a pupa, then a beautiful butterfly. Then, we let it fly away.

I'll try the butterfly experiment when my plants grow big enough for them. HEHE...

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Social, Outings, and Games