Children's interaction with nature

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

Children's interaction with nature

Postby naturemum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 pm

According to scientific research in the UK, children nowadays are very disconnected from nature. Playing in a natural environment is actually good for children, in these ways:

1. Increase interest in science
2. Improve scientific knowledge
3. Stimulate higher-level thinking (e.g. lateral thinking, creative thinking)
4. Help release stress
5. Improve social skills
6. Appreciate the natural environment

As a nature lover myself, I also want my daughter to enjoy nature. Recently I let her participate in a Nature Adventure Walk, which was an interesting and educational workshop that had many games and activities related to nature. It was actually conducted by my friend's Sec 4 daughter and her friends (all from RGS), and it was part of their project to let children be more involved in nature.

I thought that it was a good experience, and my daughter also enjoyed it very much. So I thought I could share it with everyone here! The RGS girls' have a website: http://naturetrailblazers.wordpress.com/

They are conducting another one Nature Adventure Walk soon. You can also contact them at: nature.trailblazers@gmail.com

Hope you find this beneficial for your child! :D

naturemum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby blueblue » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

do u think it is suitable for a 3 1/2 years old?

blueblue
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Children's interaction with nature

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 pm

naturemum wrote:According to scientific research in the UK, children nowadays are very disconnected from nature. Playing in a natural environment is actually good for children, in these ways:

1. Increase interest in science
2. Improve scientific knowledge
3. Stimulate higher-level thinking (e.g. lateral thinking, creative thinking)
4. Help release stress
5. Improve social skills
6. Appreciate the natural environment

As a nature lover myself, I also want my daughter to enjoy nature. Recently I let her participate in a Nature Adventure Walk, which was an interesting and educational workshop that had many games and activities related to nature. It was actually conducted by my friend's Sec 4 daughter and her friends (all from RGS), and it was part of their project to let children be more involved in nature.

I thought that it was a good experience, and my daughter also enjoyed it very much. So I thought I could share it with everyone here! The RGS girls' have a website: http://naturetrailblazers.wordpress.com/

They are conducting another one Nature Adventure Walk soon. You can also contact them at: nature.trailblazers@gmail.com

Hope you find this beneficial for your child! :D

Actually I can share one major benefit...lower the chance of having high myopia...and that is very real!

Postby penglee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:46 pm

some kiddos only see "poultry" or "pigs" from cable TVs.
And might not belive KFC's chicken (example) come from a "real" chicken.

When we were younger, we see/touch/chase all these animals near kampongs.

Expose them to more nature, at least, some sun and sweat will do them good.

penglee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby softcoach » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 pm

The girl who silenced the world for 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmz6Rbp ... re=related

softcoach
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Elizabeth35 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:21 pm

The lives of children today are much different. Children today have few opportunities for outdoor free play and regular contact with the natural world. Their physical boundaries have shrunk due to a number of factors. A ‘culture of fear’ has parents afraid for their children's safety. A 2004 study found that 82% of mothers with children between the ages of 3 and 12 identified crime and safety concerns as one of the primary reasons they don’t allow their children to play outdoors. As a result, children’s opportunity for direct and spontaneous contact with nature is a vanishing experience of childhood. Not only have children’s play environments dramatically changed in the last few decades, but also the time children have to play has decreased.

Elizabeth35
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby chenSee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:05 am

Its one way of learning through the experiences of our kids.. a direct experience with nature.. It also engages children in informal, experiential learning through play and shared experiences with peers, laying the foundation for effective formal education. :)

chenSee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ashleywells » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Outdoor environments are important to children’s development of independence and autonomy.

ashleywells
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Social, Outings, and Games