What you say to this?

All kids need sunshine, fresh air, friends, and a good caring heart for others. And for the matter, so do parents. Find out where to go when you are ready to stop and smell the roses.

What you say to this?

Postby super_dad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:42 am

"Daddy, can I go downstairs to play with my friends?"....

So far, the answer is NO from me. :roll: (I stay on the 18th storey)

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: What you say to this?

Postby jedamum » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:20 am

super_dad wrote:"Daddy, can I go downstairs to play with my friends?"....

i will say YES, but wait for mummy...mummy go with you. :D
don't quite like the idea of my kid hanging around with other kids, no matter the age.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: What you say to this?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:18 pm

super_dad wrote:"Daddy, can I go downstairs to play with my friends?"....

Hey... this is interesting! I'm having the exact same problem with my boy. Seems like we kiasu parents don't seem to like the idea of having our kids play with other kids in the neighbourhood. Wonder if we are being simply selfish - I used to be able to do that without asking my parents... then again... my parents never had to hound me to do my homework at all... I just do it myself since P1. My son simply need to be micro-managed every step of the way... and it is totally exhausting me out.

How do you get your kids to do things by themselves without being told??!!!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:35 am

My main worry is about her crossing the road. Although it is just a minor road...children are foolish when comes to road and cars. She haven't reach the stage that she can cross safely yet. But lately, she is learning to take the bus from school to the interchange where we will pick her. Kind of worried...but try it out. So far, quite ok.

But of cos, there is the fear of bad influences, and meeting molestors and such. My neighbour, not exactly the safe kind.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Yup, we all have the same fear. My son's school is just across the road but because it is a major road we have to get him to take the schoolbus just to "cross" the road even though he is P3 now. Are we just being too paranoid?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:47 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Yup, we all have the same fear. My son's school is just across the road but because it is a major road we have to get him to take the schoolbus just to "cross" the road even though he is P3 now. Are we just being too paranoid?

Don't think it is paranoid. When you only have 1 or 2 kids, you naturally care more. If you have like 5 or more kids, then probably you will be less paranoid, just like my grandparents time

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:23 pm

phantom wrote:Don't think it is paranoid. When you only have 1 or 2 kids, you naturally care more. If you have like 5 or more kids, then probably you will be less paranoid, just like my grandparents time

Goodness... that is so depressing! I would like to think that parents love each and everyone of their kids regardless of whether they are number 1 or number 9. But I guess in the grand scheme of things, there is some truth in what you say.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:43 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Goodness... that is so depressing! I would like to think that parents love each and everyone of their kids regardless of whether they are number 1 or number 9. But I guess in the grand scheme of things, there is some truth in what you say.

Actually that's true in most things. I think it is a human nature. When I got my daughter, more attention is paid to her than my elder kid when she is born. There goes the attention

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 pm

phantom wrote:Actually that's true in most things. I think it is a human nature. When I got my daughter, more attention is paid to her than my elder kid when she is born. There goes the attention

Well, in terms of attention, I would disagree with that. I think we paid more attention, as parents, to my elder son when he was the same age as my younger daughter. We read more to him, and spent more time and money on getting him toys and things to do. I don't think it is a matter of who we love more, but rather that we are now more seasoned as parents and know what matters more. Like we used to send my son to KK for every little illness but now we just stock up on paracetamol and cold medication and only go if the problem persists after 24 hours.

That's not to say my daughter doesn't gain as the second in line. She's a lot more independent and chatty than my son at the same age. She benefits from our learning from the "experiments" we did on our son :).

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:53 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Well, in terms of attention, I would disagree with that. I think we paid more attention, as parents, to my elder son when he was the same age as my younger daughter. We read more to him, and spent more time and money on getting him toys and things to do. I don't think it is a matter of who we love more, but rather that we are now more seasoned as parents and know what matters more. Like we used to send my son to KK for every little illness but now we just stock up on paracetamol and cold medication and only go if the problem persists after 24 hours.

That's not to say my daughter doesn't gain as the second in line. She's a lot more independent and chatty than my son at the same age. She benefits from our learning from the "experiments" we did on our son :).

Think you are right, their need different kind of attention during different period of their time. But I find that I am stricter with my elder kid as he gets older, he is getting naughtier as he gets older

phantom
Site Admin

Next

Return to Social, Outings, and Games