Help needed for Non-Chinese Speaking mum and child

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Help needed for Non-Chinese Speaking mum and child

Postby lazyvain » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 pm

My dd started primary 1 this year. She's taking chinese for MT.
Yesterday, when i came home from work, she was crying and very stressed out as she needs to do a "show and tell" for chinese. She could not construct her piece. I tried to help her using chinese picture dictionary but i don't know how to construct proper sentences. we basically put together words, not knowing if it made sense at all.

She came home again today crying because she said she froze when it was her turn to do the show and tell because she knows that her piece is all wrong.

I am planning to get a chinese tutor for her ASAP. any good recommendations? we live at Bishan area.

Also, is there a chinese tuition for parents of primary school children? something like a class for non-chinese speaking parents who wants to help their primary schooling kids?

The least i want to happen is for her to get very stressed with chinese that she'll hate the language.

Any advise will greatly help! thanks.

lazyvain
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mickeyhmh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi lazyvain

You might want to consider enrolling your dd in one of the many Chinese enrichment centres around Bishan area - Eduplus, TienHsia, Berries. They have programmes to help pre-primary up to secondary students. It may be more 'fun' for your DD to do it as a group. Have a look at their websites.

I do know Eduplus has an 'adult program' too but not sure if that's what you are looking for.

mickeyhmh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lazyvain » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:36 pm

Thank you mickeyhmh.

I will check out these centres. I did find a Chinese Tutor nearby and will start my DD tomorrow. Hope it works out.

lazyvain
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:39 pm

did she study chinese in kindergarten?

A chinese tutor in a 1-to-1 setting may be better for your child or she might feel pressurised by her peers in the chinese enrichment class too.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby lazyvain » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:16 pm

My dd had chinese in kindergarten and even had enrichment classes by ednoland in the school. But unfortunately, she doesn't have practice at home.

The Chinese tutor said there'll be max of 3 students per 1.5 hr session. Is this good enough? She suggested to come twice a week.

Does anyone know what are the rates for tuition? I have no comparison and in a panic state already and wasn't able to shop around well. The tutor is charging 30 per session. Is this reasonable?

lazyvain
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby carebear » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi lazyvain, you can try out this online dictionary.
www.nciku.com
I really love it, it's really useful!

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lazyvain » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks carebear. Looks like a very useful and user-friendly website for mums like me!

I brought my dd to tuition today. Her tutor speaks to her in Chinese and she answers in English. I think this is good enough for now, at least she can understand her tutor. I'll wait for the day when she'll answer back in Chinese.

lazyvain
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby carebear » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:45 am

lazyvain wrote:Thanks carebear. Looks like a very useful and user-friendly website for mums like me!

I brought my dd to tuition today. Her tutor speaks to her in Chinese and she answers in English. I think this is good enough for now, at least she can understand her tutor. I'll wait for the day when she'll answer back in Chinese.

It's good that your dd can understand her tutor!
I believe that using English or any other language to teach chinese is a great method to enhance the child's understanding of the language especially if the child is from a non- chinese speaking family.
I can understand how your dd feels cos i was brought up in an english speaking environment, and i was not exposed to chinese until primary 1.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nan.nan » Thu May 13, 2010 6:33 pm

How are you coping now ?

nan.nan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support