To take 3rd language during primary school

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

To take 3rd language during primary school

Postby agnesost » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi all,

My son is will study English and Chinese during his primary education. Is MOE given an option to student to learn the 3rd language - Malay in school? Or, is there any extra class open for non-Malay student who is interested to learn an additional language?

Thanks.

agnesost
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby TwaTau » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 pm

During my DS P3, he took up Conversational Malay class in school, once a week. It was conducted after class and they learned the basic of the language. It was just fun for him.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:41 pm

TwaTau wrote:During my DS P3, he took up Conversational Malay class in school, once a week. It was conducted after class and they learned the basic of the language. It was just fun for him.

frankly speaking, i think it is a waste of time...eventually they still would not know how to speak Malay at least not for my kid... :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 pm

It was just fun. When we are having vacation in Malaysia, DS will try it out with the Malay, greeting, asking the price, etc. But here in Singapore, little use and now left with only counting from 1-20.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby amylqf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 pm

any other choice for 3rd language?

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support