UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby Pen88n » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi mummies and daddies out there,

Anyone has kids in pri schools from P2 (or some P3) onwards and their schools asked if you want them to sit for UNSW Science / Maths / English papers? Do you know what are the papers for and what is the use?

I know some schools like Rosyth, Ai Tong, Tao Nan, Marie Stella have this UNSW paper. The format of the paper is very different from the usual school topics covered for the subject. I wonder what is the purpose of taking this paper, and the usefulness of the gradings. Anyone care to share what this is about? Thanks.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ksmama » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:21 am

No special purpose in th New South Wales paper as in just to gauge how you kid fare compared to the others in the assessment cos a few months after the paper, the kids will recieve a copy of their results graded higher distinction, distinction, merit or participation. It will show a breakdown of the different sections how each kid fared in each section as compared to the rest. The standard of paper is in general higher than that in school of course. All questions are mcq based. I know some parents use it as part of DSC application to substantiate their cause. Otherwise it is just an experience.

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Thank you for the clarification, ksmama. I supposed if it is high distinction, then it is useful to show it for DSA. Otherwise, hide it :oops:

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lantian » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:18 am

Hi

This link may be useful to you.
http://www.eaa.unsw.edu.au/

lantian
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks, lantian. Appreciate the link.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby aggellim » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:09 pm

hi ,

My son's tutor who is an ex-sec math/eng school teacher tells me that the USNW papers that are given to our kids are one grade higher ( so a P3 gets a grade P4 + P3 paper to do with Whole yr Syllabus ).

The questions in the UNSW assessments are within our S'pore syllabus. ( MATH / SCI ) We find them unfamiliar bcos these are higher order questions, not the usual ones seen in the textbooks/workbooks. Such questions are common in PSLE paper. Hence it is a good start for our children to get an early exposure now.

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mckenzy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:27 pm

my son did it in p3 and p4.

they get a certificate depicting credit or distinction... good for moral!

the kids find it challenging and fun..

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Pen88n » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 am

For those parents whose kids sit for this paper, just to share a tip: you can check the results online at their website. Just key in your kid's student ID and PIN listed in the 1st result sheet given back. For eg. if your kid has sat for science paper and gotten back the results, you would have the ID and PIN on the result sheet. After he has finished the other papers (eg. Maths, English, etc), you can check online after some time (before results are given back) and you can see his other subject results listed.

A mummy told me and I went in to check my son's results. He has not received his English results yet, but I know his results from online. I decided not to tell him, and to let him find out for himself when he receive the results - don't kill that surprise element :lol:

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ca3kids » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Pen88n wrote:For those parents whose kids sit for this paper, just to share a tip: you can check the results online at their website. Just key in your kid's student ID and PIN listed in the 1st result sheet given back. For eg. if your kid has sat for science paper and gotten back the results, you would have the ID and PIN on the result sheet. After he has finished the other papers (eg. Maths, English, etc), you can check online after some time (before results are given back) and you can see his other subject results listed.

A mummy told me and I went in to check my son's results. He has not received his English results yet, but I know his results from online. I decided not to tell him, and to let him find out for himself when he receive the results - don't kill that surprise element :lol:

Where to check online?

Ca3kids
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mckenzy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:58 pm

previous post:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008 09:18 Post subject:
Hi

This link may be useful to you.
http://www.eaa.unsw.edu.au/

mckenzy
BlueBelt