Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby december21 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi, can any one advise can we register the ICAS on our own if our primary school doesn't participate..TIA!

december21
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MandyMummy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:56 pm

december21 wrote:Hi, can any one advise can we register the ICAS on our own if our primary school doesn't participate..TIA!

Don't think so leh.

The following is from their website:
Entry into the International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS) can only be accepted from registered schools. EAA will only accept student entries from the school at which the student is currently enrolled.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re:

Postby Atan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Pen88n wrote:For those parents whose kids sit for this paper, just to share a tip: you can check the results online at their website. Just key in your kid's student ID and PIN listed in the 1st result sheet given back. For eg. if your kid has sat for science paper and gotten back the results, you would have the ID and PIN on the result sheet. After he has finished the other papers (eg. Maths, English, etc), you can check online after some time (before results are given back) and you can see his other subject results listed.

A mummy told me and I went in to check my son's results. He has not received his English results yet, but I know his results from online. I decided not to tell him, and to let him find out for himself when he receive the results - don't kill that surprise element :lol:

TKS, Pen88n. I was wondering why the sch has not given out the recent results for Eng. DS took Writing earlier this yr, so I used the same ID & PIN to check...YES, now I know his results :lol: !! Glad that he did well though not Higher Distinction (top1%?), so later just hide the cert lah!

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby december21 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:16 pm

MandyMummy wrote:
december21 wrote:Hi, can any one advise can we register the ICAS on our own if our primary school doesn't participate..TIA!

Don't think so leh.

Entry into the International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS) can only be accepted from registered schools. EAA will only accept student entries from the school at which the student is currently enrolled.

Thanks MandyMummy.. I wonder is it only top schools conduct ICAS? I have not hear from my neighbourhood school having ICAS...

december21
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm

december21 wrote:
MandyMummy wrote:

Don't think so leh.

Thanks MandyMummy.. I wonder is it only top schools conduct ICAS? I have not hear from my neighbourhood school having ICAS...

i think not true..Heard a top school only let their p3 kids take ICAS English. ...So I think it all depends on the individual school decision...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Re:

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Atan wrote:
Pen88n wrote:For those parents whose kids sit for this paper, just to share a tip: you can check the results online at their website. Just key in your kid's student ID and PIN listed in the 1st result sheet given back. For eg. if your kid has sat for science paper and gotten back the results, you would have the ID and PIN on the result sheet. After he has finished the other papers (eg. Maths, English, etc), you can check online after some time (before results are given back) and you can see his other subject results listed.

TKS, Pen88n. I was wondering why the sch has not given out the recent results for Eng. DS took Writing earlier this yr, so I used the same ID & PIN to check...YES, now I know his results :lol: !! Glad that he did well though not Higher Distinction (top1%?), so later just hide the cert lah!

That's what I heard too. Can check result online.

However, my dd has 4 separate sets of ID and PIN this year, 1 for each paper. And 3 separate sets last year, again 1 for each paper. I have to merge manually by subject in order to view her year to year development.

Wonder why the system didn't pick up the same name :scratchhead:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 711mum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:03 pm

My dd is from a neighbourhood school, she has sat for the ICAS papers, in fact her school leaves the decision to the parents whether to sign the child up :smile:

711mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Just4Fun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Can someone pls adv how do I check if my DS school is offering this test to the students ? My DS has totally no idea abt this, and he is in P3 now.

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Happy Mama » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Just4Fun wrote:Can someone pls adv how do I check if my DS school is offering this test to the students ? My DS has totally no idea abt this, and he is in P3 now.

You may want to check with your DS's Form Teacher about it. DD's FT encouraged the whole class to take it when they submitted the registration early this year.

It is very good exposure for the kids and I would encourage parents to let their kids sit for it. You never know your kids will surprise you with their results. My Pri 3 DD certainly surprised me with a Distinction in her ICAS English. :smile:

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Just4Fun » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 am

Happy Mama wrote:
Just4Fun wrote:Can someone pls adv how do I check if my DS school is offering this test to the students ? My DS has totally no idea abt this, and he is in P3 now.

You may want to check with your DS's Form Teacher about it. DD's FT encouraged the whole class to take it when they submitted the registration early this year.

It is very good exposure for the kids and I would encourage parents to let their kids sit for it. You never know your kids will surprise you with their results. My Pri 3 DD certainly surprised me with a Distinction in her ICAS English. :smile:

Wow, that's great achievements by yr DD. Yes I hv to check with his FT... strange that I was told by others that his school does offer this, and yet I know nothing abt it. DS has no idea too. Hate to know that we hv missed the chance, if this was being offered earlier on.

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres