Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby dagong99 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Just4Fun wrote:
Happy Mama wrote:
Just4Fun wrote:Can someone pls adv how do I check if my DS school is offering this test to the students ? My DS has totally no idea abt this, and he is in P3 now.

You may want to check with your DS's Form Teacher about it. DD's FT encouraged the whole class to take it when they submitted the registration early this year.

It is very good exposure for the kids and I would encourage parents to let their kids sit for it. You never know your kids will surprise you with their results. My Pri 3 DD certainly surprised me with a Distinction in her ICAS English. :smile:

Wow, that's great achievements by yr DD. Yes I hv to check with his FT... strange that I was told by others that his school does offer this, and yet I know nothing abt it. DS has no idea too. Hate to know that we hv missed
the chance, if this was being offered earlier on.

Just to share, my DS school will send out notifications to parents beginning of year, list down all the test dates & request students to register. Good for kids to go,especially if you want to try DSA. Most schools take UNSW tests as a basic guide of your kid's ability.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby december21 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:36 pm

But I understand only if u got a medal then DSA will recognized. Btw, I've got a friend whose daughter's sch also let P1 participate but I thot it's only for P2 onwards?

december21
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:51 am

december21 wrote:But I understand only if u got a medal then DSA will recognized.

I thought if get high distinction (top 1%) is good enough?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby december21 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:19 am

sleepy wrote:
december21 wrote:But I understand only if u got a medal then DSA will recognized.

I thought so too..it's high distinction (top 1%) leh! But when I met a friend whose son is P6 and trying DSA, he said so. He also said only medal achiever will be invited for the prize presentation ceremony at the grand venue, but not for high distinction..appreciate if any mommies can help to verify..TIA!

december21
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 711mum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:39 am

Yes high distinction is top 1% but medal achiever(s) are top of the top 1%, so they are awarded with the medal :rahrah: .

711mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 am

december21 wrote:
sleepy wrote:

I thought so too..it's high distinction (top 1%) leh! But when I met a friend whose son is P6 and trying DSA, he said so. He also said only medal achiever will be invited for the prize presentation ceremony at the grand venue, but not for high distinction..appreciate if any mommies can help to verify..TIA!

I find it hard to answer your qn as constant good school results doesnt guarantee success in DSA, platinum in SMOP also doesn't guarantee success in DSA and so does a medal in UNSW ......But all rounders stand a better chance especially to top ip schools .... Correct me if I am wrong ... :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby december21 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 am

vlim wrote:I find it hard to answer your qn as constant good school results doesnt guarantee success in DSA, platinum in SMOP also doesn't guarantee success in DSA and so does a medal in UNSW ......But all rounders stand a better chance especially to top ip schools .... Correct me if I am wrong ... :roll:

Yes u r right..all these does not guarantee success in DSA..

december21
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:08 am

december21 wrote:
sleepy wrote:

Yes, only the medal winners are invited for the prize presentation ceremony. Medal winners are the top scorers of that particular subject in Singapore.

A High Distinction in UNSW is a plus for DSAs but depending on the school you apply for, the importance of it will vary. For eg at NUSH, a lot of the students applying there would have High Distinctions in Math and Science so it's like de rigeur. At some other schools, a High Distinction would be looked upon more favorably at DSA. Someone I know who had High Distinctions in Science, Math and English saw the interviewers pointing at her UNSW certs and nodding her head during the interview.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:15 am

so time to invest in UNSW past year papers? :evil:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:04 pm

jedamum wrote:so time to invest in UNSW past year papers? :evil:

Hahaha! No need lah. UNSW tests aren't difficult. No need to study for them. So long as the kid does regular work and reads widely (in the case of Science), should be able to do well.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres