Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby Canvas » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:29 pm

My p4 DS did not do that well in Science. Granted this was the first time he took it so we are cool with it. Next year let him decide if he still wants to take the tests. Congrats to those who have achieved high distinction! :rahrah:

Canvas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pokemon1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Anyone knows whether the result for 2013 Science paper J is out? If it's out, how many correct answers are required for a distinction? My school hasn't release the results yet.

pokemon1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BeContented » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Deleted. Think the link I gave is wrong.
Last edited by BeContented on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lexmark » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:05 pm

I thought top 1% : High Distinction, top 10% : Distinction?
http://www.eaa.unsw.edu.au/icas/awards

Lexmark
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:06 pm

Lexmark wrote:I thought top 1% : High Distinction, top 10% : Distinction?
http://www.eaa.unsw.edu.au/icas/awards

Hi, I think your link is the correct one.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi folks, sorry I very Sotong on such things, so please don't humtum me please.

My DS1, who is also a bit of a blur king, has managed High Distinction for Math and Distinction in Science in P3 last year, and High Distinction for Science in P4 so far this year, the only one in his school to get it, I was told (unconfirmed).

I honestly just signed him up for fun. Are these score worth anything at all for DSA or whatever?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:52 pm

3Boys wrote:Hi folks, sorry I very Sotong on such things, so please don't humtum me please.

My DS1, who is also a bit of a blur king, has managed High Distinction for Math and Distinction in Science in P3 last year, and High Distinction for Science in P4 so far this year, the only one in his school to get it, I was told (unconfirmed).

I honestly just signed him up for fun. Are these score worth anything at all for DSA or whatever?

Hi 3boys, congrats to your son. For DSA, (Math for eg), schools are looking for Math Olympiad winners, minimum Gold. That's not to say that if you don't have a Gold or Platinum you don't stand a chance in DSA, because there'll be Math and GAT tests you'll be required to take during DSA and those factor in considerably. UNSW certs are less prestigious than the various Olympiads available. So unless you score a High Distinction, schools won't really consider it.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:55 pm

3Boys wrote:Hi folks, sorry I very Sotong on such things, so please don't humtum me please.

High distinctions look good on the portfolio.
Since he seems to have a talent for Maths and Science, can let him tryout the olympiads ? He can go for NMOS in P4/P5, ACS Mathlympics , SMOPS in P6 and so on. I think Science also have some olympiads I am yet to research on .
Can decorate the portfolio some more golds :lol: May be pretty useful given the changes ...

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:

High distinctions look good on the portfolio.
Since he seems to have a talent for Maths and Science, can let him tryout the olympiads ? He can go for NMOS in P4/P5, ACS Mathlympics , SMOPS in P6 and so on. I think Science also have some olympiads I am yet to research on .
Can decorate the portfolio some more golds :lol: May be pretty useful given the changes ...

Ah, ok! Need to look those up also then. I think he is in the Math Olympiad training in school, though I have not heard of him taking part in any competitions.

Time for me to stop arguing about Phase 2a and get about sussing these things out!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm

jtoh wrote:

Hi 3boys, congrats to your son. For DSA, (Math for eg), schools are looking for Math Olympiad winners, minimum Gold. That's not to say that if you don't have a Gold or Platinum you don't stand a chance in DSA, because there'll be Math and GAT tests you'll be required to take during DSA and those factor in considerably. UNSW certs are less prestigious than the various Olympiads available. So unless you score a High Distinction, schools won't really consider it.

Thanks, that is a useful pointer.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres