Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby jtoh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 pm

3Boys wrote:
Ah, ok! Need to look those up also then. I think he is in the Math Olympiad training in school, though I have not heard of him taking part in any competitions.

Time for me to stop arguing about Phase 2a and get about sussing these things out!

Your son is in P4? Many of the Olympiads take place in P5. Plenty of time to get your son ready. NMOS is good for NUSH, Mathlympics for ACSI, SMOPS for all schools. RI's Math Olympiad is the toughest to score in.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 pm

3Boys wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:
3Boys wrote:Hi folks, sorry I very Sotong on such things, so please don't humtum me please.

My DS1, who is also a bit of a blur king, has managed High Distinction for Math and Distinction in Science in P3 last year, and High Distinction for Science in P4 so far this year, the only one in his school to get it, I was told (unconfirmed).

I honestly just signed him up for fun. Are these score worth anything at all for DSA or whatever?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

High distinctions look good on the portfolio.
Since he seems to have a talent for Maths and Science, can let him tryout the olympiads ? He can go for NMOS in P4/P5, ACS Mathlympics , SMOPS in P6 and so on. I think Science also have some olympiads I am yet to research on .
Can decorate the portfolio some more golds :lol: May be pretty useful given the changes ...

Ah, ok! Need to look those up also then. I think he is in the Math Olympiad training in school, though I have not heard of him taking part in any competitions.

Time for me to stop arguing about Phase 2a and get about sussing these things out!

Yeah time to prove you are a true blue KSP member :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:14 pm

3Boys, congrats to your DS1 on his achievement despite his blur-ness. It's time for you to read up the math olympiad threads.. DSA threads.. and target schools networking thread.. :evil:

After all your gripe-ing, there's some 40 places now to be shared by 2B and 2C. :lol:

:rotflmao: Sun_2010, stop those digs now will you. But seriously 3Boys now it's time to show the kiasu side of you already. :duck:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Sigh.....if you can't beat 'em, then you gotta join 'em....

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up. DS1 seems to have blundered into a sweet spot for Science at least. His reading is reasonable though I wouldn't say super wide. But he's quite analytical. That part he got from Dad, I think....;)

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm

buds wrote:3Boys, congrats to your DS1 on his achievement despite his blur-ness. It's time for you to read up the math olympiad threads.. DSA threads.. and target schools networking thread.. :evil:

After all your gripe-ing, there's some 40 places now to be shared by 2B and 2C. :lol:

In my years of being in KSP, and over thousands of posts, I can safely say I have never been in the Math Olympiad thread, and could not have been in the DSA thread more than a couple of times.

Now that I have got the Phase 2A monkey off my back, I can get to being a normal KSP, yeah? :evil:

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sango » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:10 am

Hi
Anyone received UNSW English- writing result for Paper B(P3 level of SG) ?

My DD received last week. How may marks student should get to get High Dist in
English writing paper? Is the Q papers were same for P3 and P4 students?
any idea...

Thnx

Sango
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nicnac » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Just received the results for the writing paper..

No high distinction so am not sure the score for HD.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nicnac » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Btw, I dun think S'pore children are doing very well for this Writing component.. Judging from the gradings.. Is that so?

I sent her for the test not knowing what will be tested..

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lexmark » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 am

I think most school didn't offer ICAS English-Writing paper.
So, it's about percentage...
If only 100 P3 kids from Singapore taking Paper B's Writing, only 1 of them will score top 1%, High Distinction. Not the kids did badly...I think.

Lexmark
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nicnac » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:03 pm

I heard a handful in my child's class received HD.. but not sure the actual score.
But I know of a Dist... scoring 16/34...

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres