Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby erictty » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks phtthp for you advise... :D

Guess will check with them again...

erictty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby phtthp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:25 pm

u are most welcome, erictty
All the best to your child, in UNSW :hugs:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:28 pm

erictty wrote:Plus the dates I see from some schools different from the dates published on the website. So really no clue.. what's happening.. hiaz...
Science on paper (fr Friend's DS school) show Apr 17.
Website shows Jun 3.
So which is correct?

My DD will be taking the P4 Science paper tomorrow, 21st April. For our school, only the P4-P6 pupils are invited to participate in ICAS 2015. The exam will be conducted in school during curriculum time. Quite a handful of the children in DD's class opted out of this test.

The invitation letter was given out sometime in Feb.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 am

erictty wrote:Thanks for your response.
I email the teacher, she said open to all.
But i didn't receive any letter..

Plus the dates I see from some schools different from the dates published on the website. So really no clue.. what's happening.. hiaz...
Science on paper (fr Friend's DS school) show Apr 17.
Website shows Jun 3.
So which is correct?

In my dd school :
all parents / pupils from (P2 to P6), were given this letter, dated 9 Feb 2015. Which ever pupil is interested, can proceed to register to take the test on designated dates, submit back the form with payment to Form Tr by a certain dateline (dateline was set in Feb)

The letter stated that our school will be participating in 2015 ICAS, on the following dates :-

Subject / Level / Competition date / Payment

- Science : P4 to P6 (Tues, 21 April, $9)

- English : P2 to P6 (Tues, 14 July, $9)

- Maths : P4 to P6 (Tues, 28 July, $9)

However, in those primary schools where individual Subject Tr notify only to selective students inside the class, Perhaps suggest that you contact your Child's Subject Tr individually first, ask Tr whether the school intend to allow pupils to take these UNSW tests ?

If Yes, have they already given out the application Form ?
does your son / daughter have any chance, to sit for the test ?
Tell them that you would like to let your child take the test : politely, seek their advice how to proceed, next ?
If the individual Subject Tr can't give you a conclusive, definite answer, clarify / expedite the issue with the respective Subject HOD.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi,

I used to have the impression that the UNSW papers are very easy till the results cannot be used for DSA unless High Dist.

DD1 (P4) has one last paper to clear on the 28th July. Her first time taking part in this. Although we know that it's not related to Singapore syllabus but it's a good exposure as we found that her mind is too used to Singapore style, not sufficiently flexible.

We let her try doing one practice at home and found that the questions are not easy. Her raw scores are below expectation and we are getting worried!

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xfx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:46 pm

lee_yl wrote:Hi,

I used to have the impression that the UNSW papers are very easy till the results cannot be used for DSA unless High Dist.

DD1 (P4) has one last paper to clear on the 28th July. Her first time taking part in this. Although we know that it's not related to Singapore syllabus but it's a good exposure as we found that her mind is too used to Singapore style, not sufficiently flexible.

We let her try doing one practice at home and found that the questions are not easy. Her raw scores are below expectation and we are getting worried!

Sorry I do not understand, if your motive is for exposure, why need to practice and worry of the score? :?

xfx
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phtthp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:52 pm

I find the UNSW English papers tricky

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 pm

xfx wrote:

Sorry I do not understand, if your motive is for exposure, why need to practice and worry of the score? :?

Worry about the score as in perplexed why the perception given is that the UNSW papers are easy but in reality, the raw scores are low, so how to explain the gap between perception and reality?

Exposure as in good to do something out of local syllabus. For the exposure to be useful, there is a need to practice, just like taking part in any competition.

Taking part in Maths Olympiad Competition is also another form of exposure, of cos, it's up to the individual he/she wants to practice or not.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 pm

phtthp wrote:I find the UNSW English papers tricky

Exactly!

Need to read between the lines and the MCQ answers are very close.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:56 pm

xfx wrote:

Actually UNSW is not an accurate assessment of one's ability because most kids I know would practise and in some schools, they would train the kids. Even though I know this, I still let mine try for fun and pit the real ability against all these prepared ones. So far, I am happy with the outcome.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres