Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby lee_yl » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:34 pm

phtthp wrote:
lee_yl wrote:
phtthp wrote:I find the UNSW English papers tricky

Exactly!

Need to read between the lines and the MCQ answers are very close.

UNSW Maths Test also tough, un-conventional from our Sg Moe type

For the English paper, they don't specifically test your grammar or vocab. They mainly test the child's proficiency in English based on his ability to understand from the passage he/she read.

For the Maths paper, slightly different from Singapore syllabus. Daughter too used to Singapore style of asking and has some problems adapting to other forms of question.

For those who purely want to conquer PSLE, then I agree the child is better off not to waste time on this. Nonetheless, the UNSW papers provide exposure to another educational system and useful in benchmarking against the global population of students.

After going through this, I realise my daughter's mind is too familiar with Singapore style of math questions and need to be trained get used to a more diverse questions.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
iRabbit wrote:I don't think ICAS Math is tough. Tricky? Yes, very. But concept wise, it's highly doable by our HA pupils. Thing is, HA pupils who are very careful will score very well in this test.

But I agree ICAS Eng is not easy. In fact, I feel it's similar in std to the passages found in the GEP.

I thought only the Olympiads are tough. Quite easy to get distinction for all other external tests.

I wonder if the questions are so easy, why the raw score of maths (for example) for Distinction can be at 19/30 and not 27/30?

Something like 16/34 also Distinction (if you read through this thread). I expect Singaporeans to score near 30/34 if indeed easy?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby xfx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:08 pm

lee_yl wrote:
My friend's daughter came across this question in last year Maths paper for Pri 3 . At that juncture, she couldn't do it. However, at the end of P3, she was selected for GEP. Conclusion is, Maths test also tricky.

This question is for Pri 4, my daughter got it wrong.

Aiyoh, sure have 2-3 difficult /out of syllabus qns. If your child cannot do probably many also cannot do. No need to worry over these questions. Treat it as a learning experience. If every single paper (even for this icas) that the child takes , he/she must do well (practice practice practice) then there will be no joy in learning. And arent we back to "singapore style". Well, unless you are aiming for the medal, chill and take it as a fun paper.
Last edited by xfx on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xfx
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby xfx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:15 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
iRabbit wrote:I don't think ICAS Math is tough. Tricky? Yes, very. But concept wise, it's highly doable by our HA pupils. Thing is, HA pupils who are very careful will score very well in this test.

But I agree ICAS Eng is not easy. In fact, I feel it's similar in std to the passages found in the GEP.

I thought only the Olympiads are tough. Quite easy to get distinction for all other external tests.

I wonder if the questions are so easy, why the raw score of maths (for example) for Distinction can be at 19/30 and not 27/30?

Something like 16/34 also Distinction (if you read through this thread). I expect Singaporeans to score near 30/34 if indeed easy?

I guess it is bcos most did not prepare, most did not practice and most treat it as a fun paper and did not bother to check their answers. Thats probably why it is not a true reflection of capability.

xfx
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby metz2 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:15 pm

lee_yl wrote:

16/34 could be for writing at P3 level. Fewer students participated at this level?

For higher levels (P4 onwards), it is relatively more challenging to get Ds or HDs. In P4, my son scored 21/35 for Computer Skills and that is only a credit. If I am not mistaken, HDs are awarded to scores such as 35/40 and above for EMS.

metz2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iRabbit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:22 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:

Like what nbm shared, the math paper is not tough compared to MO papers. As for the low COP for Dist, I would attribute it to the qns being tricky and secondly, our students not bothering to check carefully.

Edit: To me, being difficult and being tricky are two different things.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:31 pm

metz2 wrote:
lee_yl wrote:

16/34 could be for writing at P3 level. Fewer students participated at this level?

For higher levels (P4 onwards), it is relatively more challenging to get Ds or HDs. In P4, my son scored 21/35 for Computer Skills and that is only a credit. If I am not mistaken, HDs are awarded to scores such as 35/40 and above for EMS.

Oh I see, for P4 onwards, to score 35/40 and above is indeed a very high score and deserving of a HD for such tricky papers!

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 pm

lee_yl wrote:
sleepy wrote:
sushi88 wrote: most kids I know would practise and in some schools, they would train the kids. Even though I know this, I still let mine try for fun and pit the real ability against all these prepared ones.

Never heard of schools training kids for ICAS. Top schools?

ICAS is optional in dd's school. About 2/3 of the class signed up

Same here. Be it top schools or neighbourhood schools, I have not heard any of them training the kids for UNSW paper. :scared:

Roughly about 10 children opted out in dd's class.

For the UNSW science paper, the teacher asked the class to read up on Australian Science syllabus online at home and my daughter diligently followed her instruction :laugh: She found it interesting.

For science, we didn't practice, let's see how she fare.

Australia primary school Science easier or harder than our Sg Science ?

any Science topics Aussie teach in their primary schools, not taught in our Sg syllabus ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Steadyberry » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Last yr p4 maths & science papers, max 5 incorrect answers for hd.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Steadyberry » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Hv no idea whether aussie or sg science is more difficult but after going through the whole science paper with my ds, I notice more than 50% of the questions, clues can be found in the question. Just have to read carefully.
That's how my ds got a hd for science.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres