Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby metz2 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:50 pm

iRabbit wrote:
Steadyberry wrote:Lee_yl is right. For my ds, no benefit except exposure. For those who can get hd or medal for the same subject ie. Maths fr p4-6, can add in yr dsa appli tog with yr nmos/smops. Sorry :offtopic:

Since there are only 2 national exams at primary level (even then, not everyone takes GEP screening tests), ICAS is useful in the sense we can have a rough gauge where our kids stand relative to cohort.

I mean since it's graded relatively with percentile thrown in, if one consistently gets a D or HD, it's an assurance that he is doing well.

I just recall it seems that some top schs may require all students to choose a subject domain for DSA. In this case, I feel that having HD in a subject like Eng whereby there're lesser competitions to express one's ability, is more useful than math, whereby it's competition galore.

If the intent is to use ICAS results for DSA, then P4-P5 results are enough.

ICAS is like national competitions. It will reflect well on the student for DSA applications if he/she has consistent good performance. HD is top 1% of all the students who took part in ICAS for that subject at the same level.

For lower primary, not all schools support ICAS. My daughter was given the choice to participate in all subjects (including Science) at P2 in her previous school. But in another school, she was allowed to sign up for only English at P3.

As for preparations, so far none of my children's schools have provided any ICAS training. Most of the time, they only knew about it a day before the test (reminder from teacher) or on the day itself. We don't keep track of the test dates.

metz2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Steadyberry » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:43 pm

We keep track of dates now bec teachers dont remind the kids. It happened last yr for the 1st paper when some left & went home. Form teacher was not aware & the teacher in charge of icas expected the kids to know when the test is & go to hall aft school. No reminders at all from anyone.
Last edited by Steadyberry on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phtthp » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:53 pm

My friend signed up her P2 dd for English, last minute not keen to sit for test. Teacher said since signed up already, must turn up for the test, cannot say don't take test.

Another friend from another school missed the submission date of form returned to Tr by one day. Next day, she want to pay $9 to Tr, to let her dd take test. Tr refused, said late for submission, don't entertain request.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz2 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:57 pm

For my son's school, no reminders too. Those who were not attending the tests would stay back in class with a teacher since the tests were held during school hours.

Is ICAS held after school? Once my daughter was sick and we didn't know it was ICAS test on that day. Her teacher called us to ask if we still wanted her to attend the test. It was during school hours.

metz2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phtthp » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:02 pm

Icas P2 English test was held during school hours, in my dd school, using the first period, 45 minutes test. That day happen to have 2 English period, Tr used the first period to let them take test.

Out of 30 pupils per class, 8 opted out. 22 took

My dd school do not allow them to take P2 Maths, only English.
Other schools allow them to take P2 Maths

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Steadyberry » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:12 pm

My ds sat icas in 2 diff sch. Both also aft sch. This yr maths maybe during sch hrs bec clash with nmos.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lee_yl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:21 pm

For my dd, both Sc and Eng held during school hours. Maths next week.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:24 pm

metz2 wrote:For my son's school, no reminders too. Those who were not attending the tests would stay back in class with a teacher since the tests were held during school hours.

Is ICAS held after school? Once my daughter was sick and we didn't know it was ICAS test on that day. Her teacher called us to ask if we still wanted her to attend the test. It was during school hours.

My son also did his ICAS papers during sch hours and hence, sch didn't inform us on the test dates. I think that's fine as it can get overwhelming for FTWP to monitor all those sch notices (this fortnight alone, got 3 outings).

So just tell us the ones we absolutely need to know.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 pm

iRabbit wrote:
metz2 wrote:For my son's school, no reminders too. Those who were not attending the tests would stay back in class with a teacher since the tests were held during school hours.

My son also did his ICAS papers during sch hours and hence, sch didn't inform us on the test dates. I think that's fine as it can get overwhelming for FTWP to monitor all those sch notices (this fortnight alone, got 3 outings).

So just tell us the ones we absolutely need to know.

iRabbit, school had decided not to participate in ICAS, starting from this year.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Oic. I didn't even know that, dimsum. The ones I shared were done last year.

Personally, I tot it's good exposure for the pupils. I find those eng papers interesting and of high quality while the math ones tricky (can teach my son a lesson on being careful).

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres