Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

UNSW Competition / Paper

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: UNSW Competition / Paper

Postby dimsum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:42 pm

iRabbit wrote:Oic. I didn't even know that, dimsum. The ones I shared were done last year.

Personally, I tot it's good exposure for the pupils. I find those eng papers interesting and of high quality while the math ones tricky (can teach my son a lesson on being careful).

agree. Disappointed with the decision.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:03 pm

iRabbit wrote:Oic. I didn't even know that, dimsum. The ones I shared were done last year.

Personally, I tot it's good exposure for the pupils. I find those eng papers interesting and of high quality while the math ones tricky (can teach my son a lesson on being careful).

Totally agree!

For English paper, I am surprised that they don't test vocab and grammar, but child's proficiency in the Eng Language. Tough.

Your earlier comment that getting HD in Eng is "worth more" than HD in Maths make sense!

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:34 pm

lee_yl wrote:Totally agree!

For English paper, I am surprised that they don't test vocab and grammar, but child's proficiency in the Eng Language. Tough.

Your earlier comment that getting HD in Eng is "worth more" than HD in Maths make sense!

if they test vocab and grammar, many students can get full marks, because vocab and grammar can be drilled, esp. grammar rules

but Comprehension passage : cannot prepare, because u wont know what's coming out for the test.
Is testing on Compreh skill, after reading passage

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:36 pm

dimsum wrote:agree. Disappointed with the decision.

did your child's school explain rationale to parents, do away with ICAS tests for 3 subjects ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:31 pm

phtthp wrote:
dimsum wrote:agree. Disappointed with the decision.

did your child's school explain rationale to parents, do away with ICAS tests for 3 subjects ?

Nope.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:10 pm

Actually my son has very little to show for Eng. He's quite mediocre compared to his class for that subj.

So even though a ICAS dist is not that useful for DSA, at least it gave me some assurance he's not poor nationally. Too bad sch not organizing anymore. :shrug:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:19 pm

iRabbit wrote:Actually my son has very little to show for Eng. He's quite mediocre compared to his class for that subj.

So even though a ICAS dist is not that useful for DSA, at least it gave me some assurance he's not poor nationally. Too bad sch not organizing anymore. :shrug:

Are the tests graded against the local cohort or internationally? My impression is the latter.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Friend's daughter did not take the GEP test at P3. Friend thought her daughter doing well in the popular school and all is well until her daughter took the UNSW test. Results showed "thank you for your participation", or something like that. That was a wake up call for friend and he quickly signed her daughter up for English tuition!

Good to have this as a form of benchmarking before PSLE.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
iRabbit wrote:Actually my son has very little to show for Eng. He's quite mediocre compared to his class for that subj.

Are the tests graded against the local cohort or internationally? My impression is the latter.

Iirc it's local cohort; quite pointless to grade internationally if you ask me.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:32 pm

iRabbit wrote:
Iirc it's local cohort; quite pointless to grade internationally if you ask me.

But if it's graded based on top x%, I think the sample is not that big coz my impression is that it's only popular among the better off schools, and even that many opt not to take. Also, mostly those who are more confident in the subject will take so sample will not very accurate.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres