Too Much Tuition

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Too Much Tuition

Postby chrisho » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 am

My son is now in P4 and have tution for all the 4 subjects with additional lesson for English and Chinese Compo as he's weak in all subjects. All my friends told me it's too much tution for him. But how? I'm worry that his marks will get worst when come to PSLE!

chrisho
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BlueBells » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:26 am

Tuition can be a double-edged sword, be careful how it is used.

Some kids thrive with tuition, some kids don't. Why? Some kids will be become too lazy to think on their own once they have tutors, preferring the easy way out of "I don't know how to do" and then wait for the tutor to teach.

Again, some tutors simply show their charge how to work out the problem but are unable to make sure their charge understands the concept behind the solution.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:33 am

chrisho, does your child look dull and listless?? If so, then there is a problem. If no, maybe ok....just on the way there...*just kidding* perhaps he is enjoying it. But my suggestion is go out in the sun or exercise more....this probably can help in all the subjects overnight.

Postby chrisho » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:51 am

ks2me wrote:chrisho, does your child look dull and listless?? If so, then there is a problem. If no, maybe ok....just on the way there...*just kidding* perhaps he is enjoying it. But my suggestion is go out in the sun or exercise more....this probably can help in all the subjects overnight.

So far he's ok. Comments from teacher is like what you've said, he's on the way...... Boys are "usually" slower and just have to wait till he wake up one day and get serious with his work. Just concern if it's healthy that he have tution everyday and 2 somedays!! Some suggest that I get a tutor that teachers 3 subjects (Eng/Maths/Science) and during lesson time, just help him with those questions that my son have problems or I have difficulties explaining the answer to him.

chrisho
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 am

Yeah if it is tuition, better to provide guidance to areas of difficulties instead of cramming with alot by having multiple tuitions. The more he crams, the more handicap he feels but if he has someone around to guide when he is overcoming his difficulty, it may not be so suffocating. Once his foundation is built, then learning future topics would be also easier.

Postby MdmKS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 am

ks2me wrote:chrisho, does your child look dull and listless?? If so, then there is a problem. If no, maybe ok....just on the way there...*just kidding* perhaps he is enjoying it. But my suggestion is go out in the sun or exercise more....this probably can help in all the subjects overnight.

My child do look dull and listless especially when comes to study. He sit at his desk star at his book /worksheet but his mind is always elsewhere. That happens in school and he easily forget what tr said in school, how. :cry: :?:

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:24 pm

MdmKS wrote:

My child do look dull and listless especially when comes to study. He sit at his desk star at his book /worksheet but his mind is always elsewhere. That happens in school and he easily forget what tr said in school, how. :cry: :?:

sorry to interrupt

sometimes it is also the teachers - how they interact with certain students, how they "command" the class, blaming / chiding students unfairly etc that will turn the students off

suggest go have a talk with the form teachers / subject teachers to find out what is "going on" and what could be done

i share this because there was a year my child had a very "bossy" teacher that turns many students off for that subject. fortunately my child come back home told us what is happening - so we counseled our child why teachers behave like that. fortunately the grades did not drop for that subject for that year. in subsequently years, the grades went up a lot
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Too Much Tution

Postby BlueBells » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:32 pm

chrisho wrote:My son is now in P4 and have tution for all the 4 subjects with additional lesson for English and Chinese Compo as he's weak in all subjects. All my friends told me it's too much tution for him. But how? I'm worry that his marks will get worst when come to PSLE!

6 groups of tuition for 4 subjects, yes, that's an overkill in my opinion. There is also a potential that the kid will suffer a burn out. Might be worth while to have a good chat with your child to find out what are the difficulties that he faced for the subjects, rather than just piling him with tuition.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby James Ang » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 am

It is the quality that matters not quantity. :D

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blesspring » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:25 am

I have a friend who send her kids to all kinds of tuitions classes. Her poor kids are occupied with tuitions even during school holidays. She spends $1k + mthly on tuitions. She is not well off, just average.

In the end, her elder kid did not do well for his studies and she was so miserable.

Her younger kid also struggles with studies but I heard the effort pay off for this younger kid as she got a trophy last year as she tops in class.

blesspring
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support