School with no exams for P1 and P2

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

I prefer Primary Schools where P1 and P2...

Have no CAs or SAs
13%
Have only 1 SA at the end of the year
9%
Have no CAs but half-yearly SAs
48%
Have either CAs or SAs on a quarterly basis
30%

Total votes : 23

School with no exams for P1 and P2

Postby barney » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:09 am

Hello

I'm collecting feedback from all kiasu parents here on their views of schools where they do not conduct any CA or SA for P1 classes and only SA2 for P2 classes.

What do you think of such system, is it good for the kids? Will the kids find it hard to adjust come P3 when they'll have to go through the 4 assessments at the end of each term?

Please share your views and whether you'll choose such a school for your child.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby barney » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:39 am

Hi

Anyone? All comments are welcome. Hope to hear the views of the parents in this forum.

Thanks in advance!

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: School with no exams for P1 and P2

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:18 am

barney wrote:...What do you think of such system, is it good for the kids? Will the kids find it hard to adjust come P3 when they'll have to go through the 4 assessments at the end of each term?...

That's a difficult question to answer. On one hand I would welcome the scheme since it give the kids more freedom to play and explore at their own time. On the other hand, there is the real danger that children and parents will get shell-shocked when they start getting tested in Primary 3, and with just 4 years to go before PSLE.

A number of schools go halfway, ie, no CAs, only SAs. I think that is the best compromise.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby caroline3sg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Only few schs have no CAs throughout 6 yrs of pri edu. I prefer this than having CAs, be it from P3 onwards or P1 onwards. Those without CAs have topical tests to let us know how well the child has grasped on that particular topic. This is better a closer follow up than CA which covers 2 - 3 topics.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:48 pm

caroline3sg wrote:Only few schs have no CAs throughout 6 yrs of pri edu. I prefer this than having CAs, be it from P3 onwards or P1 onwards. Those without CAs have topical tests to let us know how well the child has grasped on that particular topic. This is better a closer follow up than CA which covers 2 - 3 topics.

Agreed... and perhaps we should start noting which schools have what. I'll start:

Konghwa Primary School - CA1, SA1, CA2, SA2 :cry:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:53 am

Konghwa Primary School - CA1, SA1, CA2, SA2 :cry:
Raffles Girls' Primary School - SA1, SA2

Postby aggellim » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:03 am

Nan Hua Primary - SA1 SA2 + Mock tests P1 onwards. :roll:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:54 am

Henry Park :

P1 only SA2 + topical tests. All topical tests in semester 1 are not counted towards the final grades.

P2 - P6, no CAs, topical tests + Sa1 and Sa2.

For P3 and above where students are streamed into different classes based on their academic abilities, different groups of classes get different topical tests and some common topical tests. Only the common topical tests are counted towards the final grades.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby barney » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 am

Appreciate all the comments received on this and the additional information on the test/exam system various schools have. Just wonder if this will be one of the criteria for selection of schools for some parents.

Anyway, with or without exams in P1 and P2 I believe parents' involvement in the child's academic is very important, as I've read in other threads. Just hope that kids attending schools without so many tests/exams in P1 and P2 will get to enjoy main stream school so much that by the time the school start having exams, they won't mind it after all. :roll: :?:

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SMILEY » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:33 pm

My girl is entering AMK primary next year.
Can anybody advice me on this school's system?

SMILEY
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support