LEARNConcierge

School with no exams for P1 and P2

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

I prefer Primary Schools where P1 and P2...

Have no CAs or SAs
20%
Have only 1 SA at the end of the year
10%
Have no CAs but half-yearly SAs
43%
Have either CAs or SAs on a quarterly basis
27%

Total votes : 30

Postby jedamum » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:38 pm

SMILEY wrote:My girl is entering AMK primary next year.
Can anybody advice me on this school's system?

Hi SMILEY,
you may want to take a look at the school's website. from their letter of notification to parents or timetable for SAs and CAs, you can find out if the school have that for lower primary. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

What are CA and SA means?

Postby janice_0950 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 am

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

If i am not wrong NOT all school the same and have CA or BOTH?
YOU all mommies knows any about TAMPINES area schools? :?:

THKS!

janice_0950
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: What are CA and SA means?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:29 am

janice_0950 wrote:If i am not wrong NOT all school the same and have CA or BOTH?...

Hi janice_0950, not all school practise the same test formats. In general, term exams are as follows:

CA= Continual Assessment. Minor assessment. Usually happens in the 1st and 3rd terms.

SA= Semestral Assessment. Major assessment. Usually happens in the 2nd and 4th (Final) terms.

Topical tests = Minor assessments at the end of each term to determine the level of understanding the children have achieved for specific topics.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

What are CA and SA, means?

Postby janice_0950 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:30 am

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

I am confused.
What is CA & SA?
if i am not wrong NOT all school are the same in Tampines Area School. right?
As i am staying in Street.71.
Wonder which school does have CA or Both.......?

janice_0950
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Schools with no exams for P1 & P2

Postby kwcllf » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:51 am

Hi,

Zhangde Primary School does not have exam for P1. In P2, it has CA and SA for the whole year.

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: School with no exams for P1 and P2

Postby zac's mum » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:16 pm

ACS Junior does not have CA nor SA for P1.

There are several bite-sized assessments spread throughout the year which are 10-30% weightage each. However, the mid-year report book made zero mention of grades/marks. I'm waiting to see what the year-end report book looks like and will update here.

Based on what I saw from school's website, the first major exam is SA2 in P2 which is 50%. But I hope even this will change. Even MOE is encouraging more schools to move away from having the 4 major exams yearly.

IMO spreading out the assessments (and consequent stress) is beneficial for all: the students, parents and teachers. The latter have often commented to me that the mini-tests (plus the in-class spontaneous/surprise questions which the kids are required to answer on their personal whiteboards) are much more accurate reflections of their understanding, compared to a major exam (which only reflects the mugging & regurgitation skills of the kid, plus the nagging/coaching skills of the parent). If there is any gap in understanding by the student, it is noticed early, and the teachers will alert the parents and provide remedial lessons for the relevant subjects.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: School with no exams for P1 and P2

Postby zac's mum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Update: the year-end report book for ACSJ does not indicate any marks either.

I heard that this practice is due to the Principal's philosophy. She had the same practice during the time when she was Prinicpal of Fairfield Primary. IMO it takes away the unhealthy stress and comparisons among the pupils and parents.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge