All about MyHomeTutor CD-Rom

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

All about MyHomeTutor CD-Rom

Postby SweetHoney2010 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Is there any good comments/discussion on this CD-Rom? Thanks.

SweetHoney2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby SweetHoney2010 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

So no one out there to give any advise? My boy is P3 this year, his standard of English is quite weak as he doen't like to read. He has taken the Creative Writing class in P2 at Tution Centre but, no improvement on his composition writing. He is having private tutor now for his Englsih. I am thinking of getting the MyHomeTutor Composition CD for his self study and plus their popular Creative Math. Just wandering is it helpful.

SweetHoney2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Brenda10 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi SweetHoney2010

I bought both ACE Your Composition (For upper primary) and Creative Mathematics (Elementary – 2nd Edition) during the book fairs few years ago when she was P2 or P3. However my DD only managed to go through partial topics of the 1st Volume and after that she was busy over other activities and did not carry on the learning. Therefore I am unable to commend whether does it benefits DD. I think more importance is your child must be persistence and also prefer/able to adapt this type of self-learning style.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:13 pm

SweetHoney2010 wrote:So no one out there to give any advise? My boy is P3 this year, his standard of English is quite weak as he doen't like to read. He has taken the Creative Writing class in P2 at Tution Centre but, no improvement on his composition writing. He is having private tutor now for his Englsih. I am thinking of getting the MyHomeTutor Composition CD for his self study and plus their popular Creative Math. Just wandering is it helpful.


I advise getting thinner & easy books (which appeal to him) for him to read. Weak english and lack/dislike of reading forms a vicious cycle and will only snowball in later years. Tuition does little to curb this cycle. Doing better in vocab and grammar helps in exam but not in reading which is important in exams too.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Augmum » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:17 am

Hi SweetHoney2010

I have sent u a PM, pl check.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am
Total Likes: 86



Postby SweetHoney2010 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:34 am

Augmum wrote:Hi SweetHoney2010

I have sent u a PM, pl check.



Hi Augmum

I have sent you a reply. Kindly check.

SweetHoney2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby SweetHoney2010 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Brenda10, Coffee Cat and Augmum

I thank you very much for all your kind response and advises, as mentioned by Coffee Cat will let him read some easy book to build up his interest in reading first.

SweetHoney2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby N3SKiasu » Tue May 11, 2010 10:59 am

Hi SweetHoney2010,
I have a friend tried this method, she chose different kinds of English books from library, eg, fiction, non-fiction, mystery stories, sceince, history etc and let her child choose, the child will definitely like either one kind and she keeps on borrowing that same kind to start the reading habit, from there on, the child has since move on to read others as well.
For me, my DS prefers to read on history and science facts since young, I encouraged it and did not force him to read only stories. He has since moved on to stories and newspapers over the years. It is the same for Chinese, I encouraged reading of Chinese comics with simple Chinese words first and he is slowly moving on to Chinese story books.
Take things at their level with their interest, you will see the results. Visit library often, they will find the treasure there by themselves and cultivate reading habit very quickly. Set up reading corner and reading time at home (reduce TV/computer time), mostly importantly I hope you like reading as well and they will just follow you!
Hope this helps.

N3SKiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All about MyHomeTutor CD-Rom

Postby violet04 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:26 pm

SweetHoney2010 wrote:Is there any good comments/discussion on this CD-Rom? Thanks.



Hi,
My ds used 2A & 2B Lesson/Assesement for his P2 Mathematics with some assessment books. It is very effective for him as he achieve 100% in his SA2!
During school holiday, he continue to use the 3A & 3B Lesson/Assesement P3 Mathematics. He told me he was enjoyed Mrs Leong's lesson and he aim for another 100% in P3!
By the way, fully agreed with Brenda10 - I think more importance is your child must be persistence and also prefer/able to adapt this type of self-learning style.

violet04
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re:

Postby HAPPYH » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:53 am

Brenda10 wrote:Hi SweetHoney2010

I bought both ACE Your Composition (For upper primary) and Creative Mathematics (Elementary – 2nd Edition) during the book fairs few years ago when she was P2 or P3. However my DD only managed to go through partial topics of the 1st Volume and after that she was busy over other activities and did not carry on the learning. Therefore I am unable to commend whether does it benefits DD. I think more importance is your child must be persistence and also prefer/able to adapt this type of self-learning style.


Hi

My friend wants to buy Ace your composition (myhometutor) and P5 Maths? Any feedback? Especially on Ace your compo. Is the whole session enjoyable? For P5 Maths, which one is good? hometutor or superstarteaher? Thank you in advance.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 am
Total Likes: 5


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support