2 years in the USA with DS? Anyone else have experience?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

2 years in the USA with DS? Anyone else have experience?

Postby curious_george » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:38 am

Hi,

My family is contemplating a move to Connecticut for 2 years for career reasons. The complication (as always) is the fact is that our DS1 is in P1 and DS2 in K1 right now.

I have looked at the MOE website here for reserving a place and ensuring that DS2 gets a slot in his time : http://www.moe.edu.sg/education/admissi ... g-overseas

However the concern is of course that the children spend a good 2 years away from 'the system', good or bad. We'll be in one of the best rated school systems in the US, but there may be a gap in expectations and performance when both sons come back. There will definitely be a gap in Chinese exposure and education.

Does anyone have experience putting their kids through the school system in the US (public or private) and reintegrating them back here? Are private schools really worth the $$$ or is a good public school good enough?

curious_george
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Kellytai » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi,

Of coz the study environment is totally different in states compare to singapore. But i guess parents have to play a very important role as well. U can always get some book being text book or assessment book fr here and do ur coaching there. But i must say, parents hv to be very discipline. Otherwise things cant success.

Another source, u may put your children into some chinese enrichment when u r in state (there are some) to make sure your son keep the ball rolling ....

Nevertheless, ur sons hv to be more hardworking compare to their peers in their chinese when they r back to singapore after 2 yrs ...

Good luck to you .. :xedfingers:

Kellytai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support