Math: Which makes you tick?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Which makes you tick?

Picture 1
78%
Pciture 2
22%

Total votes : 18

Math: Which makes you tick?

Postby Guest » Sun May 02, 2010 4:59 pm

This is a spin-off from our discussion on the P2 Math question found here:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... c&start=22

Just for fun as a visual learner myself, I would like to poll which picture makes you tick easier in learning the concept of tens. Of course we are all already "educated" so this poll may not be accurate in terms of intuition, so it is for fun.

Which is more "intuitive" for you to understand the tens concept?

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Assuming a person does not go to school, I am curious which is easier to pick up the concept. I used to learn concepts from reading Math textbooks without attending classes so I wonder if this is still possible nowadays.

Picture 3: (A clearer version to Picture 2)
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 04, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby sunflower » Sun May 02, 2010 6:33 pm

I don't know, but the second pic looks quite confusing to me. Does it mean 2 Ones in the Tens column? The size of one single box in the Tens column is the same size as one box within the Tens bar (in heading) and is the same size as one box in the Ones column. :?

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tree nymph » Sun May 02, 2010 7:43 pm

ksi,
for me its the 2nd pic. is this normal?

:| :|

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Sun May 02, 2010 7:56 pm

The 1st pict is ambiguous, but the 2nd pict is even more confusing. Therefore I choose the lesser of the 2 evils:- pict 1
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Busymom » Sun May 02, 2010 8:13 pm

From an adult's view, pic. 1 is not presented in a consistent manner between the tens and the ones.

However, I think what pic 1 is trying to show is the grouping of the squares into tens and ones. I would tend to think pic 1 is clearer in that sense.

Pic 2 would be clearer if there isn't a row of 10 boxes in the heading.

Asked my 6yo DD, she gave me the same answer for both pics. She also thinks pic 1 is easier to read.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Mon May 03, 2010 12:14 am

tree nymph wrote:ksi,
for me its the 2nd pic. is this normal?

Actually this is what I am trying to find out...... :lol:

I find the second picture the way I think too so it is interesting to do a polling to see how our minds process differently.

Have you polled? I see only Picture 1 being selected so far.

Postby Guest » Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 am

sunflower wrote:I don't know, but the second pic looks quite confusing to me. Does it mean 2 Ones in the Tens column? The size of one single box in the Tens column is the same size as one box within the Tens bar (in heading) and is the same size as one box in the Ones column. :?

Actually if we following the model diagram approach, the boxes under each labelling is ONE UNIT.

Postby Guest » Mon May 03, 2010 12:25 am

markfch wrote:The 1st pict is ambiguous, but the 2nd pict is even more confusing. Therefore I choose the lesser of the 2 evils:- pict 1

Actually the second picture is more consistent. It is like a graph representation with a scale. The scales are ones and tens, then you plot how many units of each.

Postby Guest » Mon May 03, 2010 12:42 am

Busymom wrote:From an adult's view, pic. 1 is not presented in a consistent manner between the tens and the ones.

However, I think what pic 1 is trying to show is the grouping of the squares into tens and ones. I would tend to think pic 1 is clearer in that sense.

Pic 2 would be clearer if there isn't a row of 10 boxes in the heading.

Asked my 6yo DD, she gave me the same answer for both pics. She also thinks pic 1 is easier to read.

Busymom, you always very spot on to what I am alluding to...it is consistency I am looking for in the visual to interpret the info.

In any case I learn something from this experience.
When one is learning the concept, perhaps Picture 1 is clearer.
When one is applying the concept, perhaps Picture 2 is clearer.

So if the school is testing regurgitation, then Picture 1
But if the school is testing application, then Picture 2. GWIM?

Postby tree nymph » Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 am

ksi,
have not polled yet. will do now.

hmmm, does that mean i'm using my learnt mind to apply the concepts?

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support