E.nopi MATH or Kumon for P1 weak in Maths

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

E.nopi MATH or Kumon for P1 weak in Maths

Postby BEST_MAMA » Thu May 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi,

My P1 dd is very weak in her Math. I have enquired 2 centres which are E.nopi MATH & Kumon.

So anybody have any feedback for this 2 centres? Or anybody have better recommendation?

BEST_MAMA
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Primary 1 Math

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu May 06, 2010 11:21 pm

BEST_MAMA wrote:Hi,

My P1 dd is very weak in her Math. I have enquired 2 centres which are E.nopi MATH & Kumon.

So anybody have any feedback for this 2 centres? Or anybody have better recommendation?

depends on the nature of your child's weakness. Kumon is very good for younger kids to master the basics of mathematical calculations. Their drilling approach is good. However they do not teach problem sum solving skills... So perhaps most parents discontinue after the time is ripe.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clarchow » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm living in KL. My boys have been attending Enopi for 2 years.

My eldest started at P4, and he strengthen his basic like additional and subtraction. Two years on, he is in fraction. He is careless and requires repetition of booklets before advancing.

My younger boy started in kindy and now at P2, he is doing time table of 2 digit x 1 digit. Enopi's level will increase to 3 digit x 3 digit - so the child will get pretty frustrated at that level, before they move on to another type of maths.

I put them in Enopi because of the additional critical thinking booklet they do per lesson. It helps them to think out of the box and it's interesting to see how they arrive at an answer (which at times they get it at just a snap of finger while I took some time to understand it).

Hope it helps.

clarchow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby TiggerTigerTiggi » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm

What about MPM Math? I am a strong believeable of MPM Math. Both my 2 girls were enrolled into MPM since their age of 6, and now my elder daughter is 10 & younger daughter is 8. They have built very good foundation over these years and continue to enjoy MPM math class.
Personally I am grateful to MPM Math, this program has contantly build my children good conceptual skills and most importantly the analytical thinking skills too.

TiggerTigerTiggi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MamaJong » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:29 pm

My boy goes to kumon since 5 years old.

I would agree that kumon do not help when comes to Pri School math (Problem sums) but you will see the result when they goes to Sec sch where math is really practical math skills

Also, he have no problem in his multiplication and division tables now

MamaJong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 pm

I strongly believe in having the ability to do simple calculations and not be too dependent on calculator. This is definitely a must if you plan to let the child take part in math competitions because calculators are not allowed for the major local competitions.
It is my opinion that arithmetic skills should be developed before thinking skills (also one of the key to doing those numerical reasoning tests is basic familiarity with calculations in the head). Also as kids' thinking capacities develop at different rates not every kid will be suited for the thinking maths portion by enopi etc.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm

My son did Kumon when he was in K2 and then I switched him to Enopi when he is in P1. So that allows me to compare the 2.

I would prefer Enopi. Reason being that Kumon is just too arithmetic while Enopi has a mixed of arithmetic (through those worksheets) and also the critical thinking maths (which Kumon clearly lacks and critical thinking maths is the big thing now).

My son is in P2 and still in Enopi. My girl started in P2 and she is now in P3. She used to be average in her maths during P1 and P2. But this year, she topped her class in maths. So to me, Enopi is a wise choice.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Primary 1 Math

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:06 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:

depends on the nature of your child's weakness. Kumon is very good for younger kids to master the basics of mathematical calculations. Their drilling approach is good. However they do not teach problem sum solving skills... So perhaps most parents discontinue after the time is ripe.

Agreed.

U must first know the exact cause of her weakness. Sch exam papers are divided into 3 sections. How did she fare in each section?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 pm

CoffeeCat wrote: Also as kids' thinking capacities develop at different rates not every kid will be suited for the thinking maths portion by enopi etc.

In the case of critical thinking maths by Enopi, it goes by level. So kids progress based on their ability. In fact, Enopi emphasize on progressing based on one's ability. I recalled that when I switched my son from Kumon to Enopi, he scored high on arithmetic but low on critical thinking. The teacher shared with me that this is a common phenomenon for her students who switched from Kumon. From my observation arithmetic is around 65% and critical thinking 35% in enopi (based on homework they rec'd).

Eg. My K1 has started on Enopi and she is doing critical thinking at a low level now. I believe in exposure and then they just progress gradually. I believe they have a test after each level to see if they are competent to move to the next.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: E.nopi MATH or Kumon for P1 weak in Maths

Postby MMM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:26 pm

I just want to add that whatever program you eventually choose (Kumon, MPM or Enopi), it is good to have a long term view. Eg. all these programs progress based on your ability (per their predetermined std), so it benefits the child if he/ she progress within the program.

I realised that if you change from program to program, the child is disadvantaged due to the different focus between the program. So the child sometimes might have to start at a lower level within the program since there is a assessment test on which level the child should start at.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support