Help: English Enrichment Centre

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Help: English Enrichment Centre

Postby ctct61t » Fri May 07, 2010 11:08 am

My daughter was not perform very good in her english subject, during her P1 SA1 exam, she only get score of 88. She is in P2 now, and found she was weak in tense and other grammers.

I want to send her to an english enrichment courses, and I really don't have any ideas on which enrichment center has good reputation in english tution.

Hope I can get some information here from kiasuparents...Thanks a lot...

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri May 07, 2010 11:24 am

The ones I know: MindStretcher, Kumon, Julius Gabriel, Morris Allen, Learning Lab, Leanring Point, I can Read. Which one to choose you should visit the centre and see their materials and teaching to decide which suits your child. Good luck!

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ctct61t » Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 am

Pen88n wrote:The ones I know: MindStretcher, Kumon, Julius Gabriel, Morris Allen, Learning Lab, Leanring Point, I can Read. Which one to choose you should visit the centre and see their materials and teaching to decide which suits your child. Good luck!

Really appreciate Pen88n's summary.

My aim is to improve my P2 GG english academic records, don't know which is the best one...

I just found out that LCentral http://www.lcentral.net/content.htm?contentid=32#a9 just open a new branch at Tiong Bahru Plaze, which is near my house, don't know it's teaching effort, hope can get some comments here.

Also heard about the learning lab got very good reputation on teaching english...I want to enroll my girl as well, don't know how long it will take for enroll...

it's not easy to be a kiasuparents...

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri May 07, 2010 1:41 pm

If I am not wrong, isn't learninglab catering specifically to the better ones?

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi ctct61t,

Learning Lab will only accept the elite students - typically those from 'famed' schools or those kids that are going GEP. Understand that they cover a lot, but probably not suited for your child.

I would suggest you look at British Council or some other enrichment programs. It seems to me (I could be wrong) that she may not be clear about the basics of English grammar/language. That could be where you want to start with.

Encourage you to get help early cos if this is not resolved at this stage, she may find the next few years tough going.

But in all case, bring her to the library more. I feel that reading surpasses all enrichment programs. I was from a chinese speaking family but becos my parents brought us to the library a lot - from reading, siblings and I grew to develop a fairly good handle on English.

Good luck.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Trina » Fri May 07, 2010 2:04 pm

ctct61t wrote:
Pen88n wrote:The ones I know: MindStretcher, Kumon, Julius Gabriel, Morris Allen, Learning Lab, Leanring Point, I can Read. Which one to choose you should visit the centre and see their materials and teaching to decide which suits your child. Good luck!

My aim is to improve my P2 GG english academic records, don't know which is the best one...

I just found out that LCentral http://www.lcentral.net/content.htm?contentid=32#a9 just open a new branch at Tiong Bahru Plaze, which is near my house, don't know it's teaching effort, hope can get some comments here.

Please refer to the thread on Literary Circle for comments on their program. They are called Literary circle previously.
Also heard about the learning lab got very good reputation on teaching english...I want to enroll my girl as well, don't know how long it will take for enroll...

Trina
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 pm

ctct61t wrote:

Hi, ctct61t,

please see the thread related to LCentral:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... sc&start=0

I understand LCentral is quite academic focus.

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby momof1 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Mindstretcher?? think u better check it out first.They r not flexible at all. 8)

momof1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Mindstretcher or Other english schools for lower primary =)

Postby veraclari » Sun May 23, 2010 12:24 am

Dear Momof1 and all parents,

would you be able to share how they are inflexible? I leave in Toa Payoh and just read about Mindstretcher and am just thinking of checking them out for me2 kids, so any comments would be helpful.
Any other English schools to recommend? Thanks in advance!

veraclari
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jiyou2003 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:46 am

I had chk LCentral. They hv native speaking teacher but it cost S$450 per term of 11 sessions.
I had chk JustEducation tution. For P1 at S$80/mth, P2 at S$88/mth for English only.
Need advise. Thks in advance.

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support