[PSLE MT] The politics of MT education

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

What do you think PM wil indicate re MT education on Tuesday?

Poll ended at Wed May 12, 2010 10:09 pm

No Change from present
57%
Further lowering of weightage/standards in the future
43%

Total votes : 14

[PSLE MT] The politics of MT education

Postby 3Boys » Sun May 09, 2010 10:09 pm

How many of you think that Dr Ng Eng Hen's press release a couple of weeks ago about MT weighting was a careless random act by a Education Minister who didn't know his ground? :lol:

If you have studied the history of this issue, and how the PAP operates, you would have realised that this was a well choreographed event.

I.e. PM and cabinet thought it time to re-examine the issue, Minister for Ed preps and floats a test balloon, acts as fall guy. Cabinet re-convenes PM comes up with executive call based on feedback garnered. Steps A, B, C, clockwork, classic PAP. Nothing to do with Ng Eng Hen retreating from his position, he is definitely not acting alone on such a delicate issue.

What does it tell me about what the govt think? It tells me that the cabinet thinks that lowering the weightage for MT is absolutely the correct thing to do, but they need to weigh the political cost. They have been debating this for over 25 years, each time it is rhetoric and politic that has thwarted them. It is unfortunate that this has been coloured by politics. Some folk with real issues are going to get thrown under the bus on the account of unreasonable rhetoric.

Nonetheless, I am heartened. This is the most aggressive stance they have yet taken on this issue, and even if they fall on this attempt, they will find some way to mitigate it in the places that count, i.e. exam standards and PSLE scores.

Last, there is a lot of focus on WHAT we must do (e.g. start young, more enrichment), which is rather missing the point. It does not take a genius to figure out that early and intense exposure to language will help enormously. The real question IF and WHY we should do it, for it comes at enormous cost.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 pm

One word : Regressive
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Sun May 09, 2010 10:21 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:One word : Regressive

What's regressive?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:32 pm

3Boys wrote:

What's regressive?

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=690

Based on Janada Devan's article reproduced above, what MOE Minister Ng trying to do is regressive in comparison with what other countries are doing.

I know you are pro-reduction of weightage
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Sun May 09, 2010 10:36 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
3Boys wrote:

What's regressive?

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=690

Based on Janada Devan's article reproduced above, what MOE Minister Ng trying to do is regressive in comparison with what other countries are doing.

I know you are pro-reduction of weightage

I've read the article and in no way see why what he is proposing is in any way regressive in comparison.

Yes, there is increased emphasis in getting folk trained in mandarin in other countries, but its from a low base and I have yet to see anyone else make it a compulsory subject with equal weightage to the primary language of instruction.

And yeah, its not Minister Ng alone in this.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:42 pm

3Boys wrote:I've read the article and in no way see why what he is proposing is in any way regressive in comparison.

Yes, there is increased emphasis in getting folk trained in mandarin in other countries, but its from a low base and I have yet to see anyone else make it a compulsory subject with equal weightage to the primary language of instruction.

And yeah, its not Minister Ng alone in this.

Singapore has always trumpeted itself to the west that the bilingual talents is the bridge for western countries / MNCs to use SG as the spring board to China, encouraging them to use SG as a HQ etc etc.... and to reduce MT weightage is to tell the students that MT is not important and hence schools will also allocate lesser and lesser resources to it and it is a spiral downward to become optional like western countries, hence eroding the competitive advantage that we used to have. It is regressive and going backward.

To many who has to work overseas,it is evidenced that being proficient in MT / CL is crucial to getting things done
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Sun May 09, 2010 10:58 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:To many who has to work overseas,it is evidenced that being proficient in MT / CL is crucial to getting things done

vks2010, I've re-read Jenadas' article back and forth and don't see how he is making the point that you say he is making.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:59 pm

3Boys wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:To many who has to work overseas,it is evidenced that being proficient in MT / CL is crucial to getting things done

vks2010, I've re-read Jenadas' article back and forth and don't see how he is making the point that you say he is making.

the above point is made by me. I have NEVER said the above point is made by Devans.

I have worked with people from the various agencies in SG as well as SG agencies in China for the last 16 years and know why certain people failed miserably in China and why certain people able to get things done .
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon May 10, 2010 12:19 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
3Boys wrote:

the above point is made by me. I have NEVER said the above point is made by Devans.

I have worked with people from the various agencies in SG as well as SG agencies in China for the last 16 years and know why certain people failed miserably in China and why certain people able to get things done .

I referring to when you said regressive, and attributed it to Jenadas.

So, your view of CL ed is mostly on an utilitarian basis then? Does it then behoove our Malay and Indian compadres to get in line, so as not to be left behind?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: [PSLE MT] The politics of MT education

Postby dimsum » Mon May 10, 2010 4:00 am

3Boys wrote: Last, there is a lot of focus on WHAT we must do (e.g. start young, more enrichment), which is rather missing the point. It does not take a genius to figure out that early and intense exposure to language will help enormously. The real question IF and WHY we should do it, for it comes at enormous cost.

I don't understand your statements above. Why will early exposure to MT come at enormous cost??? :?

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support