SA1 Exam week

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

SA1 Exam week

Postby James Ang » Sun May 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Exam week for the whole nation's primary and secondary levels. Any parents take leave to support your child during the crucial exam week? Are your kids excited about the exam (and looking forward to the post exam month long holidays) and doing their best? Share your happiness and experiences preparing your child for the major SA1 exams.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:44 pm

first, they do a count down to the exam week

then there is a count down the the last paper .... then they will pester the teachers to know their score asap ....

take leave ? yes

waiting at the gate for the school dismissal ? yes
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby James Ang » Mon May 10, 2010 12:29 am

well, it seems that this will not be a typical week, somehow the effects will ripple down to all aspects of daily life, just for this exam week.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am

Yes, I used to take leave during my dd exam but not anymore. I realised that nothing can be changed once she handed in the exam paper. We started preparing for her exam right from the start of term 2 for SA1 and term 4 for SA2. By the way we only have around 6-7 weeks to prepare even we start at the beginning of the term. We don't believe in last min preparation or burn midnight oil and don't want that too. Exam preparation include going thru all the school assessment papers, practice the past years exam papers (same and other schools) and other tuition assessment papers. On the eve of each exam day is the same as any normal day. In fact we encourage our dd to go to bed early to have enough rest and we do the same too as a family. On the exam day, I will send my encouragement words via sms to motivate her when she is on her way to school. "Try your best. No matter how many marks you get, we will still love you."

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon May 10, 2010 10:18 am

The last day of exam, I am feeling as relief and happy as my kids :dancing: :imcool: :dancing:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Mon May 10, 2010 10:36 am

i dun prepare for the exam until last weekend. perhaps i am not hyperkiasu? :|

actually ds's FT is more kiasu than me. His school bag becomes much heavier as all the worksheets from Term 1 are filed together for us to go through. In addtion, we were given thick sets of practice paper to prepare. however, i only pick around 20% for ds to do.

perhaps ds is P1 only. so no stress.

wondering what will school do for the following two weeks after the exam. holdiay starts end of May....

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Funz » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 am

I am spared the SA1 anxiety. DD only in P1 and no SA1.

She has had so many topical tests until I lost track.

But I guess yah P1 only, still honeymoon period. So no stress.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby HyperKiasu » Mon May 10, 2010 10:55 am

Funz wrote:I am spared the SA1 anxiety. DD only in P1 and no SA1.

why no SA1 for P1 :?
i think only no more CA1, CA2...etc..for P1

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Funz » Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 am

HyperKiasu wrote:
Funz wrote:I am spared the SA1 anxiety. DD only in P1 and no SA1.

why no SA1 for P1 :?
i think only no more CA1, CA2...etc..for P1

Seriously, no SA1. Well no CA1 or 2 either. It's topical tests and performance tasks. They will have SA2 at the end of this year and the whole year's result will be based on their topical test results and SA2.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Mon May 10, 2010 11:08 am

Yes this is the week.

I think we've done all we could. The rest is up to them. My kids are P3 and P2 and though I am worried, suddenly I felt that I've come to a point whereby this is just an assessment of what they've learnt. So what if their scores is not perfect???? It's just a P2 or P3 exam.

My son just called me and I was like :
* Be careful
* Read carefully
* Remember to check your work

He was like..... "Mummy, this is the 100th time that you are telling me this". :roll:

I am seriously waiting for wednesday. I told myself that I will go for a long overdue haircut on this coming wednesday. We are going to enjoy ourselves this weekend without having to worry about rushing home to revise for exams. I am also looking forward to June hols.... I just love hols. We parents work as hard as the kids these days.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support