An ordinary primary school

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

An ordinary primary school

Postby sharmila » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:26 am

My elder boy is in primary 2 Qihua primary school. The school he is in was not of my choice. I couldn't even get him into a good neighbourhood school like Admirlty Primary. Now another thing that is troubling me is that my younger one will be coming into this school for primary one next year.

Since i have got no choice now, how do further enrich my child so that he will be in sync with pupils from the top primary shcool when he takes his PSLE?

Please advise.

worried parent.

sharmila
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby aggellim » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:27 pm

hi sharmila ,

Just my 2cent worth of opinion ,
Nowdays , I think how the kids performance in school really depends very much on parents guidance at home :roll: for me primary education is the foundation for a child, of course if they are given a good environment to study, they will be motivated . :lol: :lol: :lol:

If he is good, there will still be a chance for him to transfer to a better Primary school at a later stage P4 to ( GEP School ) . :mrgreen:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mumwgals » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:06 am

My elder gal was formally from a neighbourhood school. I do agree with aggellim that parents guidance at home is very important, be it personally from the parents themselves or engaging a good tutor. I have the privilege to work from home most of the time and thus I'm coaching my gals myself.

What I have done, :

1) consistent work & regular revision
I am a strong believer of the above. I have made known to my elder gal that she is studying to gain knowledge for herself, not for me or anyone else.

2) Schedule time table
I got my elder gal to do her own daily planning since she was 4yo, started from planning simple daily activites to currently her weekly/monthly schedule. We tried to sticked to her plans but she has learned to make adjustment when something unforseen pops up.

3) Reading up in science/ personal development/ social etc...
Reading to my elder gal is like oxygen in her blood, she can't live without it. She would pick the topic she interested in & do more 'research' reading from the library or the internet.

For revision, I'm relying on assessement books with more challenging questions. I have purchased for the every 1st time this year, the passed years sch exam papers from those top schs. We did them 2 wks before the CAs & SAs, everyday a paper or 2 for weekdays & more on weekends.

I have just transferred her to a full sch this year and we are more or less still doing the same, just that she has more time for her piano, sports and reading on topics out of sch academic curriculum.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:34 pm

mumwgals wrote:My elder gal was formally from a neighbourhood school. I do agree with aggellim that parents guidance at home is very important, be it personally from the parents themselves or engaging a good tutor...

Absolutely agree. It's not about how branded the school is. It's about how much time a parent get to spend with the child. Kids need their parents' presence more than presents. So kids with SAHM or WAHM are really the luckiest children.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby raysusan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 am

what do SAHM or WAHM mean?

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:36 am

SAHM = Stay At Home Mum
WAHM = Work At Home Mum
FTWM = Full Time Working Mum
PTWM = Part Time Working Mum
Can change the above 'M' to 'D' for 'Dad' or 'P' for 'Parents'.
:wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby onlyling » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Mumwgals,

What's a full school?

onlyling
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mumwgals » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi onlyling,

A full scholl is a school with both primary and secondary schools in the same compound, have the same principal for both the primary and secondary sections. The primary sector follow suit with the secondary sch holiday.

You can find out which are the full schs by clicking 'here'. :)

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SMILEY » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:19 pm

mumwgals wrote:I have just transferred her to a full sch this year

Hi mumwgals,
Just out of curiousity, what is the reason for you to transfer her?

SMILEY
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mumwgals » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:21 am

SMILEY wrote:Hi mumwgals,
Just out of curiousity, what is the reason for you to transfer her?

Hi smiley,

I have shared here before, being a super kiasu & super kiasi parent... :lol:

Actually, there were a few more other reasons. She was accepted by a few schools, and after a family discussion (her dad, she & me), we had decided on her current school because of the affiliation, the strong school culture and their belief in bringing out the leadership in every individuals. So far, we are very happy with the transferred and she is enjoying going to sch.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support