Do u have a " Exam time table " at home ?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Do u have a " Exam time table " at home ?

Postby aggellim » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:44 pm

i have done a full timetable for exam revision for my P4 boy.( Since September ). Meaning, i have indicated from now till exam, what subject/topic to revise daily. Also, have printed assessment papers online for my son to practise (10 papers for each subject ) After the topics are revised. I need to do this as my son has no initiative at all to revise on his own. I also have to go thru with him all the topics and point out to him his weaknesses. :roll:
But i did not restrict him to watch TV shows, play computer games etc as long as he finishes what he has to do for that day. Every half year, i feel like i'm having the exam. :lol: Esp the PSLE marking days to have intensive revision with him. It's always a great relief to me on the day when he finishes his last paper. Sometimes I can't imagine having to do this till he's P6.

I'm sure all the hard work will pay off. :roll: :lol:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Do u have a " Exam time table " at home ?

Postby jedamum » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:58 pm

aggellim wrote:i have done a full timetable for exam revision for my P4 boy.( Since September ).

From your boy's good results, i guess this is not the first time you have this regime. :P
Probably I'll be doing so (ie Topical Revision Chart) for my primary sch kid in the near future (currently we only have the 'Subject Revision Chart'), cos when i was schooling (from Poly to Uni), i did that for myself too. It's not very hardwork once you draw out the topics chart and indicate the 'deadline' to complete each topic and revision. I guess it is getting the kid to cooperate that may be challenging. I feel that with a schedule, it makes studying less stressful as we then will be assured that if we keep to the schedule, there should be enough time to cover all topics.

How early in advance did you start the revision? A month before the exams?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby aggellim » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:45 pm

hi jedamum ,

Nice to see you here again. :mrgreen:
My Ds1 still depends on me or tutor for revision , I have started my son on his revision for SA2 , 2 months before the exam coz Kiasu !!! ke ke... :lol: :lol:

For Ds1, the first word out of my mouth is VERY important ( Bcoz he is a ADD child ) :twisted: If I started with the wrong word, there you go , he'll not listen or hear whatever that follows. So I've to use the "soft approach" and think carefully whenever I want to pass an important message across. Not easy at all ! ! ha....ha.. :lol:

ds1 needs a lot of push. i wished ds1 was a self-starter, then it wont be so stressful . Luckily , i have much time for him, so able to supervise him .

Is there any way that we can motivate children of these age to "AUTO" or
we have to leave to them to outgrown this habit? :lol: :lol:
I wonder kids at what age then will they automatically do their homework or self study ??? :lol:

Most kids don't learn lessons that fast. We have to be prepared to 'revise' again and again and again..... :roll: :roll:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:08 am

aggellim wrote:ds1 needs a lot of push. i wished ds1 was a self-starter, then it wont be so stressful . Luckily , i have much time for him, so able to supervise him .

Is there any way that we can motivate children of these age to "AUTO" or
we have to leave to them to outgrown this habit? :lol: :lol:
I wonder kids at what age then will they automatically do their homework or self study ??? :lol:

I'll be glad if my kid is semi-auto! :P
I guess we have to see what is their motivation. My husband does a better job at motivating (or is it intimidating? :lol:) my ds1, who value his dad's view of him, so the mention of his name can get him into auto-gear...at least for a while. :roll:
A 'well-done' praise by the dad is worth 10x the 'good job' praise from me. :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:10 pm

I have 2 kinds of timetable at home...weekly and exam.
For lower primary, revision can begin 1 month before exams.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:27 pm

siewlingling wrote:It’s the examination week for most primary school pupils and from my experience, I see more parents fretting and stressing up more than their precious ones! I need to correct the common misconception that outsiders get – parents are too KIASU – that is incorrect to a certain extent!...

These are very good points indeed. Thank you for contributing.

Revision timetables leading to exams are critical for exam success, regardless of how ready you think you are for the exam. Since I started designing my own study time-tables back when I was in JC2, I have always aced my examinations.

However, it is very important that the schedules are done by the individual him/herself. It makes little sense for parents to come up with a schedule and force the child to follow it, because the child will see the time-table as a prison, rather than a tool to help him/her achieve success. Let the child write the first iteration of the schedule, and then we can review and make suggestions to improve it, eg. "Do you think you need to spend more time with math, since you are weaker in it?", "Have you factored in your exercise breaks?", etc. Remember, the child must take ownership over the schedule. We should not be seen as forcing the tasks on them.

We also need to enforce the schedule once it is ready. Gently remind them of upcoming events to help them build up discipline to carry out the time-table. After a month, you will find that the child will be a lot more independent.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby janet88 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:41 pm

after weeks of revising the exam schedule, it's down to the last week which is the EXAM WEEK starting from tomorrow. I think I have done what I can to plan daughter's revision...what she needs to do is to be confident and tell herself she can do it.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Puzz...zzle » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:26 pm

For previous level, started revision a month advance still alright. This time p5 SA2, even started during Sept holidays still not enough time, there are too much to revise especially Science. Just have to do as much as we can.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Puzz...zzle wrote:For previous level, started revision a month advance still alright. This time p5 SA2, even started during Sept holidays still not enough time, there are too much to revise especially Science. Just have to do as much as we can.

I agree...p2/3, I can still start 1 month before sa2...provided there is consistent revision but next year p5...I would have to start sa2 revision from end July onwards.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:45 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
Puzz...zzle wrote:For previous level, started revision a month advance still alright. This time p5 SA2, even started during Sept holidays still not enough time, there are too much to revise especially Science. Just have to do as much as we can.

I agree...p2/3, I can still start 1 month before sa2...provided there is consistent revision but next year p5...I would have to start sa2 revision from end July onwards.

P5 is real true busy yr.
SA1 -May, CA - Aug , SA2- Oct
The toughest is to ge tthe engine starts and roll well for SA1, inertia friction is very strong cos of holiday mood sicne term 1 -no exams n too many PH from Jan to May

Can combine CA and SA2 revision - I find it easier to do SA2 revision cos CA was in Aug - would have completed at least 75% of syllabus

But the HW load for P5 is no joke, my child sch ends at 3,30 ot 3.45 pm trice weekly, 1.50 pm twice.
I see ds doing hw from abt 8pm to near 10pm daily , plus hw time in the afternoon ) I suspect speed is slow in afternoon - I am working so I can't monitor his speed)

But I can see him working thru loads of hw, revision worksheets at night given by subject teachers...

Until I have no heart to throw him "Mummy Hw" for him at times

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support