Are good schools really necessary for our kids?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Are good schools really necessary for our kids?

Postby Anna » Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 am

Hi parents, just want to ask ur opinion, is it really good schools necessary for our kids? Im in dilemma now, as my son is now in P2 in one of the neighbourhood schools. He didnt do very well, Im thinking is it becoz of the school, that he turned out to be like this... as we as parents have tried so many tuition for him.. from one to one tuition, and now in classroom tuition, guide him personally but there is no difference...Im just wonder...

Pls help !!!!
Last edited by Anna on Thu May 20, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anna
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hquek » Thu May 20, 2010 10:04 am

Good teachers more important.

During my school years, when I had good teachers (may be the super strict type, or just those that click well), my results were very good. recall in Sec 3, I failed my Add Maths in school - managed to find a very good tutor and got A in O's. Best thing is that the tutor teaches at home and he has students from different levels streaming in/out (ie not individual attention).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby KoalaMummy » Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 am

i agree with hquek.

Good teachers are more important than good schools.

Some neighbourhood school teachers really go all out to help the students whereas teachers in good school may tend to think that the parents would do something about it and hence, not do too much to help the kids.

I think maybe you should lower your expectation for your child. Try to find out why he's not doing well, any underlining problems? Talk to the teachers and see what they say. Most important thing, try to spend more time with him and understand him better. changing school may not be the solution.

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 am

Yes good teachers are more important than good school.

Was having this conversation with someone yesterday. His boys are in top 5 primary school while his girl was also in a top girls school in Singapore. But it doesn't guarantee that they will definitely do well. Eg. the girl is now in Sec 1 and despite coming from a top girls school, she is in the normal stream. So there is no guarantee, top school = top secondary school. It all depends on the child.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Is really good schools necessary for our kids?

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 am

Anna wrote:Hi parents, just want to ask ur opinion, is it really good schools necessary for our kids? Im in dilemma now, as my son is now in P2 in one of the neighbourhood schools. He didnt do very well, Im thinking is it becoz of the school, that he turned out to be like this... as we as parents have tried so many tuition for him.. from one to one tuition, and now in classroom tuition, guide him personally but there is no difference...Im just wonder...

Pls help !!!!

You may wana find out more about the school from your child.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Thu May 20, 2010 11:02 am

i also agree that good teachers are more important than good schools. have you communicated with your kid's form teacher?

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Anna » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 am

Yes, I have actually been in touch with the form teacher, and ask abt my son problem. Her comments, my son is not focussing in class, careless...yeah.. On our side, we have told him to double check his works before submitting, and pay attention in class.

Anna
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu May 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Anna wrote:Yes, I have actually been in touch with the form teacher, and ask abt my son problem. Her comments, my son is not focussing in class, careless...yeah.. On our side, we have told him to double check his works before submitting, and pay attention in class.

is carelessness the issue or poor foundation the issue?
if carelessness is the issue, tuition is not going to help him, but will instead burn him out.
check with your son on his focus issue...is class boring, or he cannot catch up etc...
changing school may not be able to address the above issues.
but if you really want a transfer, talk to your kid and get onto the waiting list (which is probably long) fast.
MHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kids_r_innocent » Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Yup, i also agree that the teachers are more important than the schools. Parents play an even more important role.

Most of the time, the elite schools have those "well-prepared" students as most of them comes from well-to-do families who is ready to spend lots of $$ to send them for enrichment/extra classes.

Personally, i think it all narrows down to tackling our individual child. Find out the reasons to his behaviour and his results in school thru observation, discussing and helping the kid step by step. Love, constant concern and patience should do the trick.

Juz my 2 cents worth. :wink:

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Thu May 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi Anna,

Your kid is P2 currently. Was he careless in P1?
or sometimes kid need to take time to adjust to new FT's teaching style....

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support