P3 Comprehension

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

P3 Comprehension

Postby limsc74 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 pm

can anyone advise me on how to help my girl to do both english and chinese comprehension.

limsc74
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Is your girl having the problem of not being able to sustain the act of reading and understanding the comprehension?

In any case there are different reasons for kids' weakness in comprehension. You probably need to elaborate on her situation.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby limsc74 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:28 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:Is your girl having the problem of not being able to sustain the act of reading and understanding the comprehension?

In any case there are different reasons for kids' weakness in comprehension. You probably need to elaborate on her situation.
i think she has difficulty understanding the passage. Whae can i do to help her understand n trigger her interest in this.

limsc74
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu May 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Is it an english ability thing? Perhaps there are many words she don't know?
Get her to read more story books.

In the process of reading and understanding a story or passage, the brain is trying to piece together a picture of what is happening in the story.
Assuming that the kid is able to read the whole passage, when the kid couldn't comprehend the passage, there are 2 possible issues.
The mild one is if there are too many unknown words to piece together the meaning of the story.
The second possibility is more serious, that the fundamental skill of reading and understanding passages is not developed. If the kid can understand simpler passages then will not fall into this category.

However i think some kids are "too lazy to think" when reading, their brains are switched off when faced with english passages. This kids usually either already have a bad attitude towards learning in general or are very very weak in english.
Or maybe some are not able to focus on reading the whole passage, their mind might be wandering after the first few sentences.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby limsc74 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:50 pm

hi coffeecat thanks for your advice.

limsc74
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby shirley.tamzil » Wed May 26, 2010 4:01 pm

How about Chinese comprehension? My DS1 can understand the basic storyline and answer questions relating what happens in the story, but he usually cannot answer the last question which is usually asking more of what is implied in the story, e.g. why do you think this happens to the man in the end? etc.

shirley.tamzil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 pm

shirley.tamzil wrote:How about Chinese comprehension? My DS1 can understand the basic storyline and answer questions relating what happens in the story, but he usually cannot answer the last question which is usually asking more of what is implied in the story, e.g. why do you think this happens to the man in the end? etc.

oh I see. Then not to worry so much. This is basically a matter of practice. Most students will falter at this level. If you see the questions you can tell they are why questions. They are testing thinking skills which can't be taught but can be trained. so when you watch tv shows with your child or read stories, ask him such thinking questions regarding the plot. Get him to think and explain and learn from you. This is the only best way to improve=).

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support